Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Another newbies questions
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StueGnu
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:01    Post subject: Another newbies questions Reply with quote

Hi!

I have now lived without animals for over a year and have decided that I want to try keeeping fish (earlier I had reptiles, insects, rats and a hedgehog)

I haven't bought anything yet but I think I will choose an aquarium about 100 liters (26 gallons)

I've read and heard so much positive about the Kuhli Loach that it's the most important fish for me to get.

Besides that I find shrimps, black molly and the bristlenose pleco interesting.

According to what I have read these should be fairly compatible. Am I right about this? and if I want to add a group of nice schooling fish to the mix, do you have any good suggestions? Preferably very active since my other fish doesn't sound so active.

I like plants almost as much as animals so I want to fill my aquarium with plants aswell... I find Java moss nice as it should contribute well to paint my aquarium green! Do you have any good suggestions for taller plants, that would fit in?

How many of each of the species mentioned would you put in a 100 liter aquarium?

What kind of substrate would you recommend for my mix of fish and plants?

I found a piece of a spinal column from a deer and thought that would look fancy in my aquarium. If I cook it well and make sure theres no flesh left would there be any problems with that?

Thank you for your time.

Regards Tue Poulsen.
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the skeleton. Shocked I have never heard of anything like that in a tank. You could probably get 2 or 3 Kuhli loaches, though I am not sure if they are territorial. Mollies are brackish fish so unless you want to do a brackish setup that wouldn't be good. The pleco unless you get a bristlenose will outgrow your tank. An alternative to a pleco is and oto which is kind of like a minature pleco. I would suggest getting some Danios, some tetras, and a gourmia as a centerpiece fish for your tank, but that is only my opinion. Hope that helps.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly's can also live in freshwater. I am not sure if a 26 gal would be very comfortable to a bristlenose. I have otos also. They are fun to watch and do a great job cleaning the tank. You could have 3 or 4 of these.

Some Cherry barbs would make a nice school for you, about 6 to 8 would make a nice school. Also a dwarf guarami would go nice. As for the kuhli loaches I don't know to much about them. But I have heard that they are real nice to have also. I do know that you need at least 3 to keep them happy.

The skelaton I think I would leave out. the bone could cause some changes to your water chemistry as in the pH and such.

With the plants it would depend on the lighting that you get to what kind of plants you can get. 2.5 to 3 watts per gal would be nice to have to get some of the better plants. Check the garden section and it will show you different kinds of plants and the type of light that they need. You can also do a search on the forum on the best kind of lights to have.
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you clean the bones really well (with vinegar and lots of water washing) it should be fine, but it will raise your pH abit. I have a deer antler I'm adding to my cichlid tank when I set it up
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel wrote:
As long as you clean the bones really well (with vinegar and lots of water washing) it should be fine, but it will raise your pH abit. I have a deer antler I'm adding to my cichlid tank when I set it up

A cichlid tank takes a higher pH, but what about the kulhi's and molly's, I don't think that they would want it raised to what a cichlid likes.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Susan. The bone probably isn't the best idea. The loaches would be particularly adverse to too high a pH. The mollies, on the other hand, probably wouldn't care at all.

Jake
Nadias_Nana
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will love kuhlis! I have 5 kuhlis in my 10 gallon. I bought 3, thought 2 had died because I couldn't find them for over a week, and bought 2 more, then one night when I couldn't sleep, I was watching the tank, and all five were swimming up and down the glass, in kind of a figure-8 pattern, it almost looked like someone was juggling them!
I also have 5 ember tetras in there, and wondered why they weren't very active during the day, until I saw them swimming up and down with the kuhlis one night! They all seem to get along very well. I've never seen the kuhlis show any type of territorial behavior. Just make sure that they have lots of places to hide.
I used natural colored gravel, some on the small size, and needed more and the LFS was closed, so I used a left over bag of larger rocks on the top. It amazes me that the kuhlis tunnel under this.
Just a warning though, when starting up a new tank, make sure your cycle is finished, (LOTS of info on this site) and try really hard not to make spur-of-the-moment purchases.
Its nice to see that you are so interested in learning about this hobby before you get going, and good luck! Keep us posted!
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bone is kinda sinister. I would picture a bone in a piranha tank Laughing

don't bones release calcium when deteriorating? That could turn soft water hard, and hard water into unbearable pretty fast. Confused
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidk wrote:
don't bones release calcium when deteriorating?

Yep, they do. That's what Susan and I were driving at. It would work perfectly well in a African cichlid tank, where you want really hard water, but probably wouldn't be the greatest thing for any medium or soft water fish.

Jake
StueGnu
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

It sounds likely that the bone will have the effect to my water that you talk about. I can try it before I add fish and see how bad it is.

Can you explain exactly why the pH rises?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: