Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Substrate
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:01    Post subject: Substrate Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank, and have about an 1.5" of gravel. I was wondering whether this would be suitable substrate for any common freshwater plants. I have a card at a lfs that lets me have a free fish, invertabre, or plant up to $2.98 for free, or $2.98 off a purchase of one of the things listed above. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help!
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much light do you have? That's the real thing you need to worry about.

Semper Fi
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the light that comes in the 29 gallon All-Glass Kit. I am not sure what it is beyond that.
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then my advice is to forget about plants. You most likely have a single 15 or 18 watt bulb on the tank. You would really need at a minimum of 4X as much light as you have to actually grow even low light plants.

Semper Fi
Balance
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have successfully grown A. Nana, Hornwort and Various Crypts in a 29 all glass standard setup, the light is 20w and provides adequate light for those plants. they of course grow slowly but that does not mean the won't grow. I added no supplemental ferts or co2 b/c they aren't needed. I had 1" of gravel at the time. Get some plants!! the ones I listed are VERY easy. Don't be alarmed when you plant the crypts and they start to die, thats called crypt rot, they will come back stronger than ever! a. nana doesn't get planted, loosely tight it to something or use a rubberband, just don't bury the big green thing on the bottom.

use a weight to hold down hornwort or it will cover the top of your tank

ENJOY! Happy planting!
Balance.
StormRavin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Balance. You don't need a ton of light to grow plants. I have less that 1.3 wpg and I grow low light plants. I have the following plants:
Anacharis
Cobomba
Anubia Nana
Moneywort
Java Fern

All are doing wonderful and like Balance I use no CO2 or ferts or any other additives. So it can be done. At this point my anubias has bloomed, my java fern has sprouts all over it, and I am constantly cutting back my Anacharis and Combomba. I would definitely go get some plants as they can often help water quality and give your tank a more natural look! Do some research on what plants would work best for you!
Good luck!!
Balance
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted it before, you can find it if you don't want to do the search yourself but head over to www.plantgeek.net and do a search for low light easy plants and very low light easy plants in their database. Just put a space in the description field and it will show you all of them. That will atleast get you started.

Balance.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: