Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mad Molly Disorder?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetratime
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:17    Post subject: Mad Molly Disorder? Reply with quote

Hi ya'll!
Wow, I havent been on this site forever, and I suppose that the best way to get back onto it is with a Molly problem, right? Okay, heres the deal, I have 3 mollies housed in a 10 gallon aquarium. I do weekly water changes. Ammonia, nitrite are at 0. pH is usually around 7.4-7.5.
Now heres the problem: My male molly is acting... slothily. He hides hiself all day in positions that he shouldnt be able to breathe. He is really really irritable, and will freak out if I even come near to the tank. His fins are closed up and there are no abrasions, worms, fungi, etc. etc. etc. on his fins. As far as I can tell this is purely a behavior disorder. He is still eating, but today he wasnt quite able to tell where the food was.
I have had him for about 2 and a half months. Before about a week ago he was lively, horny, and very personable. Since then he's been getting worse and worse. So, does anyone have any ideas? Could this be some bizzare brain disorder or am I overlooking something? Thanks for your help!

~Eric
tetratime
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well... no one replied so I'll just give a quick update. Fish is still in the same condition, though a little perkier today. I placed some parasite medicine in the tank, unfortunately I don't have a quarantine so I did a half treatment of praziquantel, difluorobenzamide, metronidazole, and acriflavine... hopefully this will help it clear up. Later today I'll do a partial water change and another half treatment. We'll see what happens!
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, would try to help if I could get the idea right, - but I don't understand what it is you are doing with all that medication, - is it four different types or is it the ingredients in one type...??
If its four, - hmm... I don't know that that is a good idea...
The behaviour of the fish tells you something is wrong, - the not eating properly, or not being able to find the food, - thats not a good sign, - and hiding and being jumpy thats shows you too that the fish is not well, sick fish often gets really shy and nervous...
and clamped fins is a sign too that something is not all right,
But apart from that, its difficult to say, - since you don't see anything on the fish...
Do you have any salt in the tank, - as mollies like that, and I think sometimes they can be more vulnerable to diseases if there is no salt in the water... allthough I must say I don't have much experience with mollies...
Not eating, clamped fins, irritable behaviour, hiding, - could be many things, but it could also be the beginning of velvet, odinium, - but then you would see a fine white shining on the fish, or like powder, - it may not be much, but would still be visible..
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: