Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help!anyone have experience with fish tuberculosis?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:03    Post subject: Help!anyone have experience with fish tuberculosis? Reply with quote

I know this can't be treated, but I'm would like to know what to expect or do now that TB is in my tank. I understand the importance of quarantine now because it was a new oto that brought this dread disease into my community tank. He died a month ago after slowly twisting up and wasting away. Unfortunately, I didn't know what he had until he died so the TB was able to spread I guess.

Now, a month later, my favorite cherry barb is starting to appear bent at the spine and her side looks sunken Crying or Very sad . I'm so sad that this stuff is back and I'm scared it's gonna continue to slowly destroy my community.

1. Should I euthanize her now before she acts sick? She's eating and active despite her appearance, but that's how the oto acted too and he still died weeks later. It's so hard to euthanize a favorite fish when it still appears happy Crying or Very sad ! How should I do it??

2. Can anyone tell me if the TB will keep killing? Gracious, will I have to nuke my established community tank? I was just about to add a ram to this tank and now I don't know if I should. Everyone else is healthy except the barb.

Help! Thanks in advance!

BTW, I've been doing two 15-20% water changes per week with gravel vacuuming.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't know a lot about tb in fish, I think it would be wise not to put anything else into the tank. It is contageous even to humans through open sores and cuts. Do you have a quarentine tank to put the sick barb in? Are you certain that its tb. If it is I think I would not let the fish suffer and destroy it, but thats me. I am sure that it will spread thru the tank so it needs to be moved right away.

There is a small paragraph in the article section on TB, plus you can google for it to get more info.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a naysayer, but it is possible that your fish does not have TB, but rather has Neon Tetra Disease, aka Plistophora hyphessobryconis. Severe NTD, which can effect fishes other than tetras, has many of the same symptoms as TB.

Still, for practical purposes, neither Neon Tetra Disease nor piscine tuberculosis is really treatable when spinal curvature occurs (or at any stage really). Your best bet, for your own personal safety as well as acting responsibly and with a humane respect for the life of your fish would probably be to euthanize it. Using clove oil is generally considered the best method of humanely ending the life of a fish. If clove oil isn't available, the second method I would suggest would be simply taking a very sharp blade and quickly removing the fishes head (quickly and in one slice).

As far as whether it will stay in the tank, that's hard to say. I would personally Melafix the tank, or maybe even treat it with a stong broad spectrum anti-biotic. While neither of those will kill the disease, they will cetainly impede it a bit. Also, doing a heavy course of water changes always helps.

I agree with Susan about adding the Ram. Take care of the barb and then wait a month or so to see if the same symptoms take hold of any of your other fish before adding (both TB and NTD are slow moving diseases which begin internally and slowly begin to show in your fish).

Jake
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks y'all, for the quick response. Y'all just confirmed what I thought I had to do, but didn't want to do. Now I know I'm doing the right thing. This is dreadful! I'm scared I spread it to my other tank too and my betta Crying or Very sad .
I've never had fish deaths since I became a fish-keeper. This is hard, but I'll just hope my other fishes are healthy enough to fight it off.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your Betta is okay and that it has stayed in only one tank.

Don't beat yourself up about it. TB and NTD are two diseases that can't really be blamed on your fish keeping skills, they are just unavoidable pitfalls IMO.

Jake
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good article that I found on the internet. Here is the url:

http://www.4qd.org/Aqua/disease/tb.html#intro

it gives quite a bit of info on TB, it might help to decide whether your fish have it or not.

Either way I agree with benedictj that the fish should be destroyed humanely.
As the article states with the TB it could even take a few months for symptoms to show up, and if you keep your water quality at its best even the fish with tb may not show any symptoms and can take years to appear. So keep the good routine of water changes going and keeping your tank clean is one of the main factor of the diseases from spreading to any of your other fish.
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the support and information. I read the article you listed and it was really informative. At least now I'll know how to stop or slow the spread. I think my ignorance in handling the oto only made things worse. His symptoms really fit with the description, and I wish I had known to euthanize him right away. There is always a learning experience in this hobby.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what we are all here for, to learn and to help others. You never know to much I have been keeping fish 28 years and I am still learning. Very Happy
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I finally caught my twisted, shrinking cherry barb and chopped her head off Crying or Very sad and now both me and my fish are totally traumatized. I've never had to do that before, it was awful. Once again, I feel like I can't do anything right. I had a hell of a time catching her and stirred up the whole tank. I'm praying that no one in the tank got scraped or injured (my fingers did) in the process since that would leave them open to the TB infection. They definitely got really freaked and stressed. I decided not to even fix all the decor now. I turned out the lights and am just leaving them to de-stress. Maybe I should add something to the water to help them deal with the scrapes and stress???

However, if I had left her that would have been bad too, right? I hope I did the right thing; she was definitely going downhill. I wonder about this stress/maintenance trade off. Taking her out was stressful to the remaining fish who are probably fighting off the TB. Going in to clean the gravel and changing water is stressful for them too. I wonder if I should just do everything possible to keep them calm and their environment stable? Does anyone think that stirring up the gravel (as I did when trying to catch her, and when vacuuming) spreads disease? I don't think I'll survive if I have to chop off more heads off swimming fish. Sorry, I had to vent and share. Neither my friends nor my family are fish people and I can't share my sorrow Crying or Very sad with them; they think I'm weird about my fish.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: