Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
introducing piranha
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulrich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)12:56    Post subject: introducing piranha Reply with quote

hi all got a bit of a dilema,
I have 2 4x2x2 tanks 1 with 7 red bellies and the other with 1 red belly.
fish from both tanks are roughly the same size so I was considering putting them all together!!
good idea or carnage??

please help
paul Rolling Eyes
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot? How many gallons is it?
paulrich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

gallons 120 give or take a couple, us gallons.
any help
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I think they would be fine if you added them together, aggresively at least. I am not sure whether or not 120 gallons is enough for 8 pirranhas. They are very messy eaters.
paulrich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea they are, but touch wood.....everything I've fed them they blood eat tails and all so I will do it when I can watch them for a couple of hours to be sure.
thanks for your help
paul
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say upfront that I have no experience keeping pirhanas, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt (or at least get some coroborating info).

But, I think, simply based upon common sense, that 8 Red belly p's (Pygocntrus nattereri, right? This fish) in a 120 gallon, 4 foot tank would probably not work out so well. According to what I have read, these guys get to be approx 12". Eight feet of fish in a four foot tank sounds really cramped to me, especially for a fish with a 'tank busting' reputation.

Anyway, just a thought to consider....

Jake
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could put 4 pirranhas in one and 4 pirranhas in the other.
Mobern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with kjh90

4 in one and 4 in the other
elTwitcho
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on size really. The piranhas will not go in that tank for life, but after they get to about 6 inches big they won't typically grow more than 1 inch in a year. People do overstock their tanks with smaller piranhas of less than 8 inches, and you could likely do so for some amount of time, but it will not be a permanent solution.

That said, if you were to add the 1 into the tank with the seven there would definately be territory issues, and I would think it's quite likely that the new piranha will get killed and eaten. As you've probably seen, piranhas set up a system of territories and a loose pecking order and in the tank with your 7 fish, that order is likely already established. If you add the one fish, he'll likely get chased regardless of where in the tank he goes, and the stress reaction of this fish is likely to trigger an attack by the other piranhas who instinctively prey on weaker fish who are sick or stressed. If you were to mix them together, you would have to upset the order of things, and that would mean either taking out all the decoration entirely so the fish have no territories to fight over, or rearanging the decoration in the tank and adding the new fish so all the territories have to be re-established. The problem with this of course, is establishing territories is always done with fighting and you stand the risk of losing fish while territories are re-established.

Size also plays a big role in this, if the new fish is much smaller than the other fish, there is again a strong risk of him getting killed and eaten.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: