Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
375L Tank suggestions and Discus help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Zeke,
Smile
I didn't intend to infer that plants were bad in any way, I have a planted tank with Discus myself. I was just stating that adding plants successfully adds a whole new pallet of tank parameters to consider (nutrient levels, light spectrum and intensity, CO2 etc...).
I think you can have a healthy tank w/o plants (many Discus keepers do) although I do think that plants can aid by consuming organic waste (and providing hiding places) but some Discus keepers are fanatical about tank cleanliness and thus don't need the plants help.
I'm not that fanatical Wink
Perhaps the bloodworm reference is in regards to the idea that many fish prefer them and will begin to reject other foods because of it. I have heard of that before.
Sorry for the hijack Phoenix Laughing
Phoenix
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies and thanks Dale for the hijack Smile still very informative for me and my situation.
Here's some pics of my current set up just so you can see what we're talking about, they were taken with my phone so the quality isn't great and sadly the blue discus in the pics died since the pic was taken:

I don't have any tests left so I'll post the results in a few days when I get a new test kit. For now here's the plan:
I'm going to leave the angels in for now but watch them carefully for any aggressive behaviour, there's only 3 of them and its a very big tank so once I get more plants in I think they should have enough space to be OK.
I'm going to take out the pleco and put him in with my severum in my 100L tank, not sure what I'll do about algae but I'll look into it, maybe otos?.
I'm going to leave the wool in the filters as it gives the water a great polished look but I am going to replace it with clean wool a lot more often and see if that helps balance the pH.
I'm considering getting this product:
http://209.15.53.70/popup.asp?product_id=31 to help keep my pH at 6.5 (any thoughts good or bad??)
I'm going to read a lot more about what I need to do to successfully plant my tank such as what I need to do for keeping the plants healthy and keeping them from getting covered in Algae, fertilizers and co2 etc and then I'm going to go get a load of them and replace my artificial plants. How do I do a gravel vac if most of the tank is covered in plants? Do I just vac the open spaces? I already have 4 pieces of wood in there which look good so the plants should look well with them.
When I have all this perfect I'm going to go get about 6 or 8 discus of the same size as the one I have as well as more tetras and about 6 or 8 rams (which I love but previously found hard to keep alive?).
I'm going to start feeding them 3 times a day and will do some small water changes and gravel vacs every other day. I was considering getting this product for the gravel vacs: http://www.aquatics-direct.co.uk/itemsviewer.asp?ID=281&type=a
The idea would be I could clean out the gravel without having to do a water change as my tap and tank are at opposite ends of the house so its a pretty big job? What do you think?
Thanks again for all your help, I'll keep you posted and no doubt will have lots more questions about the plants etc.
Oh yeah I'm also going to get another heater as with the two I have at full power the max I can get the water is 27c/81f so I'll get a new heater and get it up to about 84f. Also what do you guys think of a product called Instant Amazon - http://www.mreed.com/weiss/index.shtml ? It claims to create Amazon conditions in the water which is great for the fish but also promotes plant growth even in low light. I have a bottle of it but haven't used it in a while. I did notice though that when I did a 50%+ water change one weekend and used it within hours my Angels started mating but then they are still mating now and I haven't used any of it for a couple of months??
Thanks again
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: