Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SAE vs Loaches: At what point is bullying a problem?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)9:03    Post subject: SAE vs Loaches: At what point is bullying a problem? Reply with quote

Question I am surprised that my SAE suddenly bullies my zebra loaches. I'm wondering to what point this is okay and just one of those things, and at what point is it a real problem where I should consider giving him away? I don't see that the loaches have any injuries, and they still come out from their hiding places. But the SAE really seems to hate them.

Question Is this something that more plants can help? Next week I will buy more sagittaria pusilla. It makes an excellent cover without crowding up the place -- fish like loaches can swim through it and make territory in it. If you think this can help, maybe I'll buy twice as much as I planned to.

Thanks, Laskey
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not sound very SAE-like, - are you sure its a SAE and not a CAE, these two fish are often confused, and sometimes sold under wrong names
CAE (Chinese algae eater) is likely to behave like you are saying, SAE I don't think would do so unless maybe really stressed by too small tanks or something like that.
I had zebra-loaches once and they were crawling all over the SAE, (actually nipping and such), - not the other way around
This link is to identify CAE

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/algeater.htm
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, he's 100% SAE, I am not confused between the two. (I used to have a CAE actually, and traded him for the SAE). I'm absolutely sure of what he is. Two barbels, a regular mouth (not a suckermouth), light fins, a stripe through to the tail, the top is a dull gold and not white, and all that. I've also been familiar with flying foxes and I know all three types and am not making a mistake about this! In fact, I think the three look very different! Very Happy
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Okay, it was just a try, - you know then about the confusion that happens, ...
But its still quite un-sae-like as far as my experience goes.
Maybe its stressed from being alone, or maybe it thinks finally it has gotten some mates to harrass, -
I mean, I have 3 SAE, and they never ever bother other fish, but they really do bother each other, they swim full speed through the tank after each other, and they quarrel to the degree where they actually loose the black stripe and looks really weird (bit like greying out of clown loaches) - but thats all part of their natural behaviour amongst themselves, and no one is ever hurt....
and with the type of mouth SAE has I doubt they can actually hurt another fish much...
So maybe in lack of other same-species fish, it may look to the zebras for establishing social rang or order or whatever it is... ??
SAE's like to be with their own species, in at least a small flock
fiffy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am surprised that my SAE suddenly bullies my zebra loaches.

I'm not all that surprised as I have found both SAE and CAE to be very aggresive. But I supose its more on an indiviual basis then anything as I know fo people who have had them be somewhat peaceful. But I also know people who have had very aggresive ones also.
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both are onto something there. I've always observed that it looked like the SAE thought he was one of the loaches. So he is taking out the whole "pecking order" thing on the loaches. Anyway, this goes back to my original question - when is it a problem? Should I not worry unless a loach actually gets injured?

Will also try more plants very soon. I'm just waiting for the plants that I want to come in at the LFS, because right now they don't have sagittaria pusilla. They will call me next week when they have it. Very Happy Laskey
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)7:24    Post subject: SAE Reply with quote

I would only consider the fish a problem if the loaches are receiving body damage including fins or the loaches are rapid breathing after the chasing for a long period. If it becomes a problem provide a lot of cover (more rocks, timber and plants) or move the timber or rocks and plants around to break up the SAE territority.

Goodluck

from Josh
kimura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

the zebras can probably do more damage than the sae since they have the eye spines. when they get the courage to fight back they will probably win. I would be sure you have plenty of hidey holes tho. the more caves and plants the better chance they have to get away and it will probably reduce overall agression since they can't always see each other.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: