Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting Temps
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)5:59    Post subject: Lighting Temps Reply with quote

I have a 75 liter tank that is lit by two 11 watt compact flourescent bulbs. the hood came with a pair of "red" bulbs but that was a year ago. I just replaced them today with a set that are "cool white/marine blue." I think the bulbs are made by phillips.

the bulbs in question have a base which attaches to the fixture and then a tube that curves around forming two tubes in the one bulb. now one half of these twin tube bulbs is blue, and the other is white.

does anyone know what temp these are? does that even matter? and how will these colours affect plant growth? or are these bulbs meant for marine aqauriums only?

the effect on how the tank looks is startling. still not sure if I like it...
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

More commonly labelled 50/50 bulbs meaning 50% actinic for salt water setups. For fresh water fish, this cuts the useful light in half.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks discus man. that was actually what I was suspecting.
the store actually only has two choices in terms of colour: "blue/white" and "pink/white." I guess I'll go back and exchange them for this pink option.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: