Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
depressed/dying fire gourami?!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
athena 2000
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)21:43    Post subject: depressed/dying fire gourami?! Reply with quote

Hello again,

Been a while--I thought things in my tank had calmed down. My dwarf fire gourami has been losing all of his color and in the last two days has started hiding at the bottom of the tank. This is a fish who previously was bright, deep orange and who dominated my tank (scared another gourami literally to death)--now he seems to be literally wasting away. He has been getting progressively whiter and more lethargic--and it seems like his rear section is starting to bulge a bit. What could this be?

He's in with 9 neon tetras, 3 cories (a fourth died this past weekend of unknown causes), and 3 x-ray tetras. pH is 6.6-6.8, temp is 82F (I just raised it a little from 80F--I read to do that when fish were getting sick), I change 20% of the water weekly. The tank is a 25 gallon Eclipse with biofilter. I started medicating with Melafix yesterday.

Only other thing is that I've got some algae problems, but I wipe off the sides of the tank with a clean cloth and I rinse off the rocks with tank water when I do water changes. All of the other fish seem to be fine!

Please help!
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.adelaideaquariums.com.au/faqs/disease/showdis.asp?DiseaseID=9

From the article:

The fish may also exhibit scale-loss, lethargy, pale colouration, and lack of schooling behaviour.
Gouramis, particularly the dwarf varieties, are more at risk than other species....

I hope this is not it. But I just lost 6 fishes to this desease in a tank which I thought was perfect. so all the best.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

before we call it TB, it might be a good idea to take a look at some other stuff. The algae is a cue that it might be something else. Lethargy is a symptom of many fish diseases and bulges also point to a few others.

How long has your tank been set up?
What are your other water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
What type of dechlorinator do you use?
How long are your lights on per day?
What type of filtration do you have?
Also, you might want to consider slowly lowering the temp back down to 80. Heat treatment works for ich, but in other cases it can actually speed the rate of growth for some diseases.

Jake
athena 2000
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)6:23    Post subject: more on the sick gourami Reply with quote

Hi everyone--and thanks to those who responded!

The tank has been set up since early January. I've got mechanical, carbon, and biowheel filtration--the full Eclipse system. I also use an air pump. I use NovAqua as a dechorinator, especially since I have hard water. The lights are on for about 12 hours a day--8am to 8pm (when I get in from work most of the time).

I had another gourami (what looked like a smaller, younger one) die a bit back (about two weeks after bringing him home) with the same discoloration but with different behaviors (hiding)--we concluded that the bigger one had stressed him to death. I've had two cories go down recently for no good reason--the albino started floating at the bottom on his side and died a day later. All were from the same pet store.

Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite should be fine--I do 20% water changes every Tuesday. I feed them flakes and bloodworms with an occasional algae tablet. Should I use an anti-algae chemical? I thought those could be bad?

Do I need to euthanize him if he has tuberculosis??

THANKS SO MUCH!!
-S
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: