Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Starting with fish for the first time in a while.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddness
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)20:53    Post subject: Starting with fish for the first time in a while. Reply with quote

Hi everyone, we haven't had fish for a good 8 years roughly, and I am continuing the hobby.

Many things confuse me since it's been so long.

I have pretty much 3 tanks in mind, there are many kinds of fish I like, and there are some kinds I will never have, I have some questions that really need answering.

1: can bala sharks be mixed with red tail black sharks and spotted pictus in a 25 gallon tank?

2: is 6 corys and 6 small tetras to much for a 10 gallon tank? also if it is not to much can I add 1 more nice bigger center piece fish like a small gourami?

3: anyone know if those waterhome sets are any good? I was planning to buy the waterhome 25 set, and a 10 if they have it.

these are my questions for now, I have 3 tanks planned..

tank 1: 10 gallon containing around 4-6 small tetras and 4-6 small corys, maybe with one bigger centerpiece fish.

tank 2: 25 gallon containing redtail blacks, spotted pictus, pleco, and types on those lines, maybe some danios..

tank 3: cichlid tank! but I have much research before I do this last one, because the areas of cichlids confuse me..

one thing I really forgot was all about the cycling, when to put fish in, ect, lol.. it's OK, I got almost 4 weeks to research still..

please answer my questions and give me your opinions, be nice Very Happy
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would say is that the 25 is way to small for bala sharks, and maybe the red tailed. Other than that they seem fine
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of additional comments-

A pleco in a 25 might not be the best idea. They get far too large, assuming we are talking about common plecos, but even then it will be cramped. A bristlenose might work instead. A 25 might also be too small for a pictus. Pictus cats are predators and will probably try to eat your danios as well.

As far as the ten gallon goes- The six neons and a center piece looks good (rams?), but 4 to 6 cories might be pushing it. If you get smaller ones like pygmies or pandas, you could do four, otherwise I would stick to three.

Hope that helps.

Jake
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get shrimp instead of cories! shrimp are great! you could have 6 small tetras, a betta/dwarf gourami/ram and a swarm of say 8 shrimp in the 10 gal. that'd be really nice.

ditto on the pleco: get a bristlenose. they're cool fish.
Maddness
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, one thing I never ever ever ever liked was any kind of shrimp type of thing, my uncles girlfriend a long tiem ago when we had an awesome set up, brought like 30 shrimp, and my uncle freaked cause she put them in without him knowing, no shrimp..

I am trying to figure out something, say I don't end up doing the 10 gallon, and I start with a 25 or 29.. then after that tank would be set up, I'd get a big one, like 55-75 gallon(1 at a time)

here are a list of fish I really like, and would like to have in one of the tanks..

redtail black sharks
spotted pictus
irredresant sharks
bristlenose pleco
otos
ram(I saw them once, can't remember what they look like though)
some sort of nice schooling fish that arent to small.
gourami's are OK, used to have a lot

thats all I can think of for now, I have wanted an irredresant shark for so long, maybe if I get a 75 gallon?

can someone use the types of fish I like listed, and give me stocking ideas for a 25-29 gallon and a 75 gallon? you can also suggest some types of fish, but I have a list that I will never ever buy any of..

mollys
guppies
shrimp
goldfish
clown loaches

please reply.
Hasi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, if you REALLY want a Irredesant shark then I suggest you invest in a tank that is quite large, probably 600L+. I know it sounds like a lot but these fish grow huge and can reach a metre!

A 75 or 55 gal would do nicely for a red tailed shark but they are intolerable of their own kind so should be kept sole in a tank. It might harrass the other fish as they are known to be aggressive.

A nice schooling fish that isnt too small could be some barbs. I like the Tiger barbs but their are different variations and these fish should be kept in a shoal of 6+. They are known to nip at fins so be cautious of fish additions.

Do a bit of reading in the GALLERY section of this site to get familiar with the fish you want and their behaviour.

Hope this helps
Maddness
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just got back from a way better LFS then any other I've been to..

The guy gave me an idea for 2 different tanks, smaller, like 10 gallon, and bigger, like 25 gallon and up..

bigger tank:

A few yellow labs(the guy said either 1, or a group of 3 or more)
1 redtail black shark
2 spotted pictus
1 bristlenose pleco
1 irredresant shark(maybe, cause 2 months later it will be moved to a huge tank)

smaller tank:

few harlequin rasboras
few neon tetras
1 blue ram
few otos

how do these 2 sound? a few months later the tanks will be switched around, whats in the bigger tank will go in a tank anywhere between 75-100 gallon..

also the yellow labs and blue rams are very small, both around an inch.

opinions please

oh, I also really want a black ghost knife fish, anyone have any ideas of what to put it with?
Maddness
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry to post again, but I was looking at a website, and most of the fish I want because of the required pH levels, don't seem compatible, here..

Pictus Cat (Pimelodus pictus)
Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 75-81
labrakitty
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, bala sharks are wayy to big! Iridescent sharks and way bigger than that. Much much too big for a 100 gallon. I think they need around a 500 gallon or something, like a giant pond. They get like 4' long or something. Mad

A 10 gallon is too small for 2 schools of fish. What about:

6 small tetras-neons, cardinals, glo-lights, black neons
1 dwarf gourami or 2 sparkling gouramis(these are very delicate though)

Or
6 small corys-habrosus, hastusus, pygmaeus
1 dwarf gourami or 2 sparkling gouramis(the sparklings are very delicate)

A 25 gallon is too small for a pictus too, I'm sorry. They are too active, and only for the quite experienced. What about:

1 red tail shark or rainbow shark (Get a cave for it so it has its own territory)
6 zebra danios (common or long finned)
6 leopard danios or gold danios (common or long finned)
6 corydoras- panda, schwartzi, julii, trilineatus. (Not albino, peppered or bronze or tiny ones)
1 bristle nose pleco (good algae cleaners)

Like either of these? Very Happy
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one little thing to add, I had a leopard Danios that schooled peacefully with the Zebras so I think that if you like on type more than the other you could get 12 of them or get a combination of the three types listed above.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: