Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My fish is blacking out ??? exp here please
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicklfire
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)19:12    Post subject: My fish is blacking out ??? exp here please Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Well currently in my tank I have a shrimp, some pleco's, rosey barbs, a tiger barb, a green barb, an albino barb and some guppy's and a cory in my 33 Gallon, and a snail that hopped a ride on my plants I bought.

But my issue is about 2 weeks ago one of my barbs was having a problem blacking out. He would swim freely and happy then suddently he would just blackout where he would loose consiousness and then suddenlyl start floating free around the tank (upside down, letting current move him , he looked dead) then suddently a couple seconds later he would come back to life and keep swimming.... He died about 2 weeks after I noticed him starting this.

It has been about 2 weeks sence he died and I noticed just now that one of my rosey barbs are doing this. This could be a huge disaster and I don't really know what to do. I added some coral to the tank about maybe.... 2 months ago (think it's corel) but don't know if that could really affect it.

any answers would be very much appreciated if you guys have heard this ever before.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we get too specific, it would be helpful to have some more info on your tank.

First, what are your water parameters? (temperature, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
How long has the tank been set up?
What's your maintainence schedule? (that is, how often do you do water changes and vacuum or siphon of the gravel?)

Jake
nicklfire
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry sorry should have read the rules first,
OK Well I havnt checked myself recently but.... I took a sample to the pet store and they did a test for me and told me everything is AOK ,
I got a 33 gallon tank, been setup in this tank for last... 4 months, I transferred media from my last tank that had been setup for 6 months, tank is not cycling. Umm.. I clean the tank (vacuumm) every 2 weeks about, I got some live plants I put in there but the blackout happened before I added those. I got a 204 fluval filter umm...
should be about it
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)7:14    Post subject: blackout Reply with quote

You said you put coral in the fish tank that willl change to a high pH, high Carbonate Hardness and high general hardness. Barbs live in low pH, low carbonater Hardness and low general hardness. This may have a effect on the fish behaviour but I can not tell you confidently because I personally never experience this behaviour of my fish..However making the water quality suited to the fish will provide benefit for the fish behaviour.

Goodluck
from Josh
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)7:55    Post subject: Re: blackout Reply with quote

Josh Hansen wrote:
You said you put coral in the fish tank that willl change to a high pH, high Carbonate Hardness and high general hardness. Barbs live in low pH, low carbonater Hardness and low general hardness.

This really depends upon how much coral you have in there. A tiny bit might be necessary if your water is particularly soft and needs additional buffering capacity. But too much could be causing your fish problems. It is fairly hard to tell without knowing your water parameters whether this is a possibility.

Also, Barbs, IMO, are more neutral water fish than soft water.

Jake
nicklfire
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was thinking that too before you guys posted, I didn't know corel broke down as much as it did. So before you guys posted back I remved all the coral... probably a ice cream bucket full. So we'll wait and see I guesss.

thanks guys
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: