Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bubblers
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duncanmaclean
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)19:05    Post subject: Bubblers Reply with quote

Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of all the different kinds of ways to add air bubbles to a tank:

1. Air Pump (with regular tubes)
2. "Bubble Bars"
3. Air Stones

Thanks....
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to bubblers, it would just be a matter of taste. Bubblers are not a have to have item. Mainly they are for looks. just decide what you would like to see it do and go from there.

I have different types of bubblers in my tank but my personal preference is the bubble wand. And like I said they are there just for the looks.
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubblers are for Looks UNLESS you are using a UGF(under gravel filter) in which case they are air tubes going down pipes connected to the UGF(plastic Stand like things that your gravel or whatever sits on). If that is the case you need airstones and pipes to create an updraft to circulate you tank to keep everything happy and heathy.

If your not using a UGF ignore all of the above and go for what looks best to you.

Glitch
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bubble wand cut to 14" in the right corner of my 34 gallon to promote 02 and a current. I like one side of my tank with a current, and a part of the tank where my fish can go and rest.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glitch wrote:
Bubblers are for Looks UNLESS you are using a UGF(under gravel filter) in which case they are air tubes going down pipes connected to the UGF(plastic Stand like things that your gravel or whatever sits on). If that is the case you need airstones and pipes to create an updraft to circulate you tank to keep everything happy and heathy.

If your not using a UGF ignore all of the above and go for what looks best to you.

Glitch

Also with the UGF it comes with the airstones that goes with it, and like Glitch said, they are used for a specific purpose.

With bubble wands, airstones and such not using a UGF, they are just for decorations if you like bubbles. The wands can be put in there to create a bubble curtain, which would look best at the back of the tank. With the bubblers there are so many options to choose from and all will work to the same effect. They will need a pump to run them, which comes in different sizes so there is another decision to make. Choices - lots of choices and it all comes down to what you like. They aren't really necessary to have but can be a nice added addition.

There are some fish that like to play in the bubbles and some don't, and like davidk says there needs a place for the fish to rest.

You should also pay attention to how much movement the bubbles create because it can cause your water to evaporate quicker. I found this out on my own, had to remove part of mine. I was having to top off just about daily in addition to the water changes, and with a 75 gal tank that can be a lot of extra work.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: