Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
URGENT: :(( Unexpected deaths - help me figure them out.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)12:01    Post subject: URGENT: :(( Unexpected deaths - help me figure them out. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have lost 4 fishes in past couple of months and I am not sure if its a coincedence or there is something wrong. (I do not think I lost 3 fishes in a year before this bad phase). Any help, possible problems will be appreciated.

Tank Specs:
55 G Planted, (about a year old had a 20G before that)
110W CF, 2x2L DIY Yeast CO2 with power reactor/diffuser. Gives me about 6-10 bubble per minute.
Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate = 0,0,20ppm
pH: about 7.4-7.6
phosphates: ~1ppm
Only additives added to tank are plant fert (K and Fe only).
Water change about once 2 weeks, 30% or so.

Live Stock:
10 Neons (3 of them are with me for 2 years, one of the dead fishes was from this 2 year old group)
4 Danios (2 year old, again one of the dead was from this group)
2 Angel Fishes (about 2 year old)
1 Rainbow Shark (ditto)
2 Chinese Algae Eaters (ditto)
1 Pleco (ditto)
3 Cory Cats (ditto)
5 Skunk Loaches
1 Krib
1 Molly (very much odd one out)

here is the link to the tank. The tank looks pretty much the same
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=18997&highlight=

Fishes I have lost are: danio - no apparant reason. a period of sickness followed by death. Neon Tetra - tail rot which I diagnosed too late thinking it was just nipped fins. Krib - Had what looked like a wound on the body. Angel - Sudden death, was perfectly fine at night, morning dead. (they are more or less evenly spread over past couple of months)

Only changes that I can think of is that I gradually stopped adding salt to the tank once my pack ran out assuming it does no good (have starting again just to be on the safe side)

I do not have DKH figures as I do not have those test kits, but I rigorously monitored my pH levels after starting CO2 injection and it has never been a problem. (morning/night everyday for a week. after that I just test them when something seems wrong)

Any ideas? The tank as you can see from the photo looks healthy. And my two angels spawn every month or so.

What are the normal life spans for neons/danios?

Sorry for the long post, any help appreciated.

Thanks
nikhil

PS: about the pleco/chinese algae eaters. I know I should not have had them, got them when I did not know any better and now I think its too late to return them. They are no longer growing (about 5-6 inches without tail).

Last edited by aurther_dent2001 on 2005.05.04(Wed)18:52; edited 1 time in total
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a myriad of things, so it's probably best to do process of elimination.

First, the C02- Without knowing KH, it is hard to tell if this could be the issue with the angel and possibly the danio. What is the swing range of your pH(reading in the morning, reading at night)? CO2 doesn't leave you with a static pH if it is working properly, so that could be a potential prob.

As far as the wound on the krib, was it an actual open 'bleeder' at any point, or was it more of a cyst type thing? That is, were the scales still present over it?

Jake
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

CO2: My pH test kit has a resolution of .2 The swing is less than .4 more than .2 The city water report measures CaCO3 hardness as 56-90ppm(3.136-5.04 dKH according to conversion given on http://www.saltyzoo.com/SaltyCalcs/AlkConv.php)
(I will double check this today and over next few days. I had stopped monitoring pH once I saw there was not much of a swing)

Krib: It looked like a cyst kind of thing which eventually burst (about 2-3mm diameter, near the tail on the lateral line).

Also, I am adding CO2 since Oct. The problems only happenned in past few months. (I don't even know if it is a problem, because tank otherwise looks healthy, no algae problems, no fish deseases other than the tail rot which was eliminated in a week by dosing with Melafix)

PS: Opps. I just read my old post. The 4 deaths are distributed over a 3 month period rather than 2 month. Makes it more likely that this was a fluke (I hope).
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurther_dent2001 wrote:

Krib: It looked like a cyst kind of thing which eventually burst (about 2-3mm diameter, near the tail on the lateral line).

On the danio, were there any signs of spine curavture?

Jake
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second angel is dead Crying or Very sad

Same story, few hours ago there was no sign of obvious distress, now its dead. I took some pictures, does they make sense to you?

The remaining angel: Note what looks like white spot in the second picture. picture is not clear but it looks as if the fish rubbed against some hard surface and scales are coming off.

Danio's: Yes the dead danio's spine was curved. As is of these. I googled and found out that its a symptom of tuberclulosis (http://www.adelaideaquariums.com.au/faqs/disease/showdis.asp?DiseaseID=9)

My neons: Do they look OK

Full aquarium shot:

Seems like I have an outbreak of Tuberculosis. So I should remove/euthanise danios and remaining angel?
Crying or Very sad
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're convinced it is TB (it could also be Neon Tetra Disease, which can cause spine curvature and can be caught by other fish- though the exploding cyst points toward TB), than it is probably safest to you and your other fish to euthanize. I did find a site that had a treatment involving some super duper antibiotic used in conjunction with vitamin B6, but unfortunately I can't find it right now (you can google under piscine tuberculosis, I believe that's where I found it). Treating it might actually be more stressful to the fish.

Hope that helps-

Jake
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is. And I made some very stupid mistakes. about 6 months ago I had bought a pair of kribs. The male died from TB shortly after arriving (A wound on its side, the thread on that is somewhere on this forum). I had read that page I gave link to, but I had forgotten about curved spine being a symptom. The female survived, and also raised fry.

So my guess is that he introduced the TB into the aquarium, I should have been more aggressive at that time.

Any suggestions on how to treat the rest of fishes? According to instructions on the site I am planning to give Melafix for next 7 days, during which time I will do lots of water changes to clean out the gravel as much as I can, and at the end of it replace the filter sponge/bio balls/etc. I hope the nitrogen cycle is not screwed to badly

This sucks.

Thanks for your help.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: