Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What's the best filter for a long, thin tank?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedMenace
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)6:40    Post subject: What's the best filter for a long, thin tank? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm planning to set up a new tank that is fairly long and thin. The measurements of the tank I'm looking at are 90cmx28cmx32, which I calculate as being 81 l. or 18 gal.

I'm wondering what my options for a filter are, and what people think is the best choice. I'm fairly new to fishkeeping, my only experience is with a small power filter on my 8 gal. tank. I don't really know much about other types of filters. I live in Taiwan and don't really trust what the fish stores here tell me. I know they'll tell me I need to get the most expensive kind.

I plan to plant it mostly with dwarf hairgrass with maybe a few other smallish plants. I want to set up several tall rocks that look like the tall limestone mountains you find in southern China, kind of like a Chinese landscape painting. I want to stock it with a couple of small schools of different tetras, and maybe a few cories.

Thanks a lot!
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a Penguin 170 to a 330 definately with a BIO-WHEEL. Only because the bio-wheel will support aquarium life better by putting beneficial bacteria into the system.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh any of the penguin models with a bio wheel should be fine. I have the 200 on my 20gal and it keeps the water crystal clear its quite something.
supaoopa
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, what kind of fish are you planning to put in that tank?

I would personally go with 2 small HOB filters on each side of the tank since its so long.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: