Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Quietest filter for my needs?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosk
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)6:11    Post subject: Quietest filter for my needs? Reply with quote

Greetings!

I'm a relative newcomer to fishkeeping and have recently set up an 8 gallon bowfront tank which I plan to arrange as a planted tank.

The tank is in my bedroom and I have pretty sharp ears so I need the *absolute quietest filter* possible.

I recently bought an Aquaclear Mini and while it seems to be suiting the tank perfectly it makes an audible rattling/vibrating sound which I'm finding a bit much.

I had considered the Eheim canister filters but was concerned they would provide too much flow for my small tank, unless I could somehow lower the flow rate perhaps?

Just wondering if anyone could suggest some quieter options to me please. Money is no object (within reason) provided I get the absolutely quietest filter available and that it doesn't turn my tank into a Whirlpool Of Death!

Bosk.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look into a Whisper Mini, I have one and you can't hardly tell its even running. Doesn't put a lot of water movement so it wouldn't hurt the plants. I think that they are good little filters for small tanks. They start at about $10.00 on up, depending on the size you get.
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)11:26    Post subject: Re: Quietest filter for my needs? Reply with quote

Bosk wrote:
Greetings!
I recently bought an Aquaclear Mini and while it seems to be suiting the tank perfectly it makes an audible rattling/vibrating sound which I'm finding a bit much.

Aquaclears are pretty quite. When mine makes those noises it usually means that either the top cover is coming loose or the inlet pipe is a little loose. Did you try to find the source? A little fiddling usually quitens them a lot.
copperwolf
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loudest noise my filter makes is the water splashing back into the tank. Is it not supposed to do that? Do I have my water level too low?
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it could be you water level is to low if all the noise is splashing. Try adding more and see how it works.
Bosk
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)20:00    Post subject: Re: Quietest filter for my needs? Reply with quote

aurther_dent2001 wrote:

Aquaclears are pretty quite. When mine makes those noises it usually means that either the top cover is coming loose or the inlet pipe is a little loose. Did you try to find the source? A little fiddling usually quitens them a lot.

It looks like you were right, I removed the top cover and the noise quietened noticably.
Even so it's still making a noticable rattling sound and I can feel it vibrating appreciably by holding my hand against it.
Hmm....
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)21:03    Post subject: clean it again Reply with quote

Try cleaning it again, and clean the hole that the impeller fits into really well. Be sure to rclean each vane of the impeller completely, a little build up on one vane is a big deal at that high RPM
Bosk
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)4:38    Post subject: Re: clean it again Reply with quote

anonapersona wrote:
Try cleaning it again, and clean the hole that the impeller fits into really well. Be sure to rclean each vane of the impeller completely, a little build up on one vane is a big deal at that high RPM

Well it seems there's not much more I can do.
I took it apart & installed it twice, cleaned every surface, inspected the impeller closely, read the manual, fiddled with everything that could be fiddled with and still its making a slight humming/rattling noise.

Quiet as it is I need something even quieter.. 100% silent would be something to shoot for if it's possible.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: