Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aggressive pleco???
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esoteric
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)19:28    Post subject: Aggressive pleco??? Reply with quote

I have a couple plecos and I think one is aggressive. He did suck one of the fish in my tank completely clean but it was dying anyway. Now my new fish think he is their friend and they are getting a little too close. Does anyone have experience with this?

Oh yeah, the plecos is a Leopard-spotted Sailfin Pleco if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size tank are they in. These plecos get pretty big. Its states in the gallery that they will suck on smaller fish. So I would say that is your problem.
Ehsan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a common behavour for huge plecos...as soon as they reach to a suit size,they often become the leader of tanks and maybe semi-aggressive(but in order to haven't any teeth usually they can't seriousley injure same size ones and fast swimmers)and chase other tankmates due to prevent them to eat any food without his permission.it's one of the reasons that pelcos should be remove to a large tank with monster members(as they're seen so calm with Arrowana,red-tail catfish and ...)

I've a Rainbow shark that became very friendly with my huge Leopard pleco and lived with him in a small cave,my uncle had a couple of them with a 15" common pleco and they were really like a nice family-a father with 2 sons!-
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: