Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
coral lighting?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shibby
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)16:31    Post subject: coral lighting? Reply with quote

HI everybody. I have just gotten into this hobby I have had my tank for 4 months now and everything has gone great until I got this polyp. I have a purple polyp that looks like it is dying. All basic levels are where they should be. Have been adding all of the trace elements need to survive. I think it's my lighting but not sure. I have 2-65 watt 50/50 compact forlecent bulbs. What should I do? Also if my lighting is not sufficient for that type of coral. What coral could I have in my tank?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

really depends on waht type of coral you are talking about. also how large is your tank? tank livestock? could you post a picture of this "purple polyp"?

andrew
2 winged demons
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with statements like "all levels are where they should be" and "everything checks out fine" and other such statements is that they are subjective in nature. Some LFSs will actually consider a small amount of ammonia okay, even. Without exact readings, it is pretty much impossible to help. I'm assuming your "polyp" is a Discosoma. Your PCs should be more than enough to maintain it, therefore, another problem source would be more likely to be the culprit. Without anything more to go on than your lighting specs, there's no way anyone could possibly help you. We'd need a full suite of test results, a list of equipment, and a list of livestock.
shibby
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far.
my tank is 29gal.
15lb Tonga live rock
1 percula clown 1.5"
1 yellow stripe maroon clown 2 1/2-3"
1 dottyback 3/4"
1 lipstick tang 7 1/2 - 8"
1 domino damsel 1"
1 Haitian Reef Anemone
1 alantic anemone
And the dead green star polyp
also we have assorted snails and hermit crabs all reef compatible
Nitrate 5.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, pH 8.4, salinity 1.021, calcium 400ppm, aquaclear70 with cycle guard and bio max filter. Sea clone protein skimmer. Two power head 301s' from aqua clear. Phosphates are at 1.0.
and a skillet 250 filter
I also have a 5 to 8lbs green cover live rock of unknown origin???
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there you go... you'll need to get SG closer to 1.025 and reduce phosphate to unreadable levels. Wink Thanks for posting your readings and not letting it fall by the wayside. Too often, newer people come on boards like this, ask questions, get the types of answers I give, and move on. There's something in many people that either doesn't want to hear the real answers, or doesn't really care. It can be exasperating for people like me who are just trying to help, and when we get posts like yours, actually coming back and showing interest, it's like a breath of fresh air. Wink
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, GSPs like quite a bit of chaotic movement, IME. If they're not being hit enough to make them sway, you may want to consider moving them to a higher current area. Still, SG will need to be closer to NSW levels and Phosphate will need to come down for you to have a reasonable chance of success with any corals other than the "most hardy". Also, high levels of nitrAte do not help. While 5ppm isn't too bad, nitrAte should also be unreadable.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: