Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need Help With The New Co2 Set Up!!!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheJohnBus
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)12:08    Post subject: Need Help With The New Co2 Set Up!!! Reply with quote

Hello,
I just got a pressurized Co2 setup, a 10 lb bottle of co2.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to set this up.

Here are my levels
pH is 8.5
KH is 2 dh
GH is 1dh

This stupid test kit I bought does not do nitrate like I was told it did.

This is a 75 Gallon Tank.

Right now I have 4 48" 40 watt (2 daylight 6700K and 2 Plant Bulbs)
I have one more strip (2 Bulbs) I have yet to hook up for fear of growing nothing but algae

I would like to shoot for a pH of 7.5

The Co2 Setup is the Milwaukee Instruments CO2 Adjustable Flow Pressure Regulator With Solenoid Diaphram (MA957)

with the pH Controler.
Smart pH Controller by Milwaukee Instruments Especially Designed for use in Aquariums (SMS122)

as far as I have been able to figure out You just set the controler to whatever
You want your pH to be and it will dump co2 in untill the desired level is reached... Hmmm

I'm not shooting for anything like amano, just something pleasing to the eye Wink

The thing is I have done so much reading and read so many different things my brain is fried. I orginaly got this system 3 weeks ago and decided to just try things dirt kid style and set it up to see what would happen. I set the pH to 7.5 went with 30 bubbles per minute ( I was told that was a safe place to start) and to make a long story short I had to completly tear down the tank to bare glass and clean EVERYTHING.
Evil or Very Mad
I Would Scrub and scrub and it would be back in days. I just need to figure out how to set this up right.

So this time I would like to try it the right way.

Where should I start?

So How many bubbles per min should I shoot for?

Should I be adding any fertilizer, if so what kind?

Should I run it at night or put it on the timer with the lights?

what else do I need to know?

Any Info would help a ton!

Thanks!
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, what type of test kits are you useing? what tempature is your tank water? what is the duration of your lighting. How long has this tank been running. Did the algae only appear after you started injecting C02? Are you useing any pH adjustment chemicals. What are you useing to inject the C02 into the tank (diffuser/ reactor)? Your pH/KH reading seems a little off, so lets make sure your numbers are correct. As far as the controller/bubble count 30 bubbles per minute is probably OK for your tank, what you need to look at is how long it takes for the pH to drop once the C02 injection starts. The controller needs to be calibrated with the solution provided first, then you would just adjust the controller to the desired pH level. Successful planted tanks require more than just C02 and lights, they also need a balance of the correct nutrients in the tank or it's algae city. It sound to me like you may have other issues going on as well. If I were you I would invest in a decent test kit, I like the nutrafin/hagen master kit, it comes in a large blue case and will test for everything you will need to know, I have tested this kit next to my lamotte kits and it is acurrate enough for good result. So in short lets make sure your pH is 8.5 and your KH is really 2. You should also shoot for at least 2.5 watts per gallon. After this you will need to test for nitrate, ammonia and phosphates, then yes you will probably need to supplement the tank with fertilizers and the lack or eccess of nutrients could be and probably is a factor of your algae problem, but one thing at a time. You didn't mention your water change schedule. And by the way congrats on your new C02 system.
Mark
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pH/KH numbers are way off. You need to test the water again and then find out if your water supplier is playing the the pH of the water. Normally one would expect water with a KH of 2

Semper Fi
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: