Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Yellow belly blue damsel w/ white spots...ich?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dee McC

PostPosted: 2003.04.14(Mon)13:07    Post subject: Yellow belly blue damsel w/ white spots...ich? Reply with quote

Hiya - it's been a while since I posted here - geeze, boards changed again. Anyway, I'm asking about an issue in the hope someone can shed light.

Husband has a reef tank, and a damsel came up with white spots on her cheek and tail - small but not tiny, and only a handfull. He isolated it in a 30G quarrantine tank and treated her for hole in the head initially. Overall, her behavior improved (resumed eating/good appetite), but the spots never entirely went away. I think he ran her through two courses of treatment.

Weeks later, he began to think this was ich, and treated her for that, but the spots remain. He's on a business trip now and while she's still eating, when I saw her today, it looks like she has another white spot. I don't want this fish to croak in my care Sad Exclamation

I'm a freshwater person. Ich in freshwater, I know what it looks like. This doesn't look like it - the spots are a bit larger, but not huge. Can anyone shed some light on what this might be? He's kept a reef tank for less time than I've kept freshwater, but he's not keen on asking other fishkeepers online for assistance - but I will!
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.14(Mon)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many kinds of "Ick" to be found in saltwater. Of the main four kinds you're most likely to see, this one sounds like Cryptocaryon irritans.
It produces much bigger white spots than the others.
It's also very dangerous.

One of the handiest medicines to cure it is called "Coppersafe."
Works every time. There are other ways to fight it, but I suggest that one because of it's surefire results. Also, some of the saltwater icks cannot be treated by hyposalinity or garlic or whatever, so the coppersafe will work whichever kind you've got.

Treat while in the hospital tank; don't put the copper in your main tank.
Dee McC

PostPosted: 2003.04.15(Tue)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if he's used Coppersafe, I'll suggest it. I'm familliar with it in freshwater... very handy for parasites, hell on plants though. I can only imagine the havok it would cause in a reef.

No, she's still in quarrantine - she's been there since the first treatment, probaly over a month ago. He's stried some other anti ich preparations with no results. Do some flavors of ich just not respond to some medication then?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: