Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Livestock to go with Kribs in a Niger River biotope?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mshortri
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)10:31    Post subject: Livestock to go with Kribs in a Niger River biotope? Reply with quote

I have a new 29 gallon setup that was initially intended as a Kribensis fry grow-out tank. However, I've expanded on the idea and want to turn it into a Niger River biotope to house the Krib parents in fulltime. I've got a good handle on the plants and hardscape to put in, but I'm having trouble finding suitable tank mates.

I don't want a single species tank, but I do want to keep the stock very limited, to leave room for growing fry. I need to stick to very fast or nearly immobile livestock which doesn't eat fry, since I'll have the parents and babies in there.

SO, what lives in the Niger River that could:
1. help me with algae control but not eat live plants
2. live in a 29 gallon tank without eating krib babies
3. either be fast enough to get away from cranky Krib parents, or be slow enough to not bother them
Fishkeeper55
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should try some Neons, their mouths probably aren't big enough to eat the fry, and they are very beautiful fish.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
Nadias_Nana
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to get someone else's opinion about the tetras, I have 5 ember tetras in with my Kuhlis. I put some live tubiflex worms (large ones!) in for the kuhlis, and I couldn't believe that even my smallest ember was wolfing down the tubiflex worms! I really wouldn't have believed that a fish with such a small mouth could eat something that big!
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, Tetras won't give you a true biotope as they are mainly a South American fish (one notable exception being the Congo Tetra, but they are from the Congo not the Niger).

I would suggest you look at some of the geographical filters over at fishbase.org to help you with your search...

Hope that helps

Jake
mshortri
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody - yes, I want to stick to fish and plants that are found naturally in the Niger River, so neons and most other tetras are out of the question. Benedictj, thanks for the link - what a fabulous resource, it's exactly what I needed! Now, it's just a matter of researching which of these species are available in the US.

Thanks again.
nukri
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mshortri,

Forget it. I have had kribs for number of years and they are my favorit fish as far as behavior goes.
If you leave the fry and the parents with other fish in the same tank, one of the following will happen:
1. Parents will not be able to protect the fry all time and eventually they will become food for the "tankmates".
2. Parents will kill the "tankmates", even if the latter are bigger and stronger fish (up to a point, of course).
3. Parents will feel threatend and once their frustration reaches certain level, tey will eat the fry themselves.
4. by the time of the next spawning, fry will not have anough places to hide away from the parents.
5. As fry grow, they will reach a point when they are no longer considered "children" and being smaller and weaker, they will take lots of abuse from the "former" parents.
6. All of the above.

If you want to watch a magnificent dispkay of parenting int the beginning, go right ahead, but if you want to really rear the fry, remove the eggs day before hatching, before they fall into the substrate and raise the fry separately. With greater numbers of euqally sized kribs, there will be more frequent but essentially harmless squabbles. As soon as one becomes much bigger (or smaller, to that matter) than the others, the problems will start.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: