Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What goes well with gouramis
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a deadly fart
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)23:29    Post subject: What goes well with gouramis Reply with quote

So I picked up 4 dwarf gouramis and two pearls and was wondering what else would go well with them. I wanted a paradise but I was questioning any more gouramis in a 10gal. I am planning on eventually picking up a 40gal during the summer and transfering them to that.

Also I noticed one of my pear was getting a little agressive towards one of the dwarfs during feeding time. If he keeps it up would time out by himself in a bowl make him less agressive? My friend said that only works temporarily. Whats your opinion? thanks
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)2:12    Post subject: Gouramis Reply with quote

I will tell you the large gourami will not get along with dwarf gouramis. There is a wide range of fishes in the tropical community that the gouramis get along with. Email me on the fish you choose from the fish gallery on the Age Of Aquarium Site and I tell if the fish are compatible with the gourami or not.

from Joshl
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not get any other fish until you have your larger tank. The pearl gouramis will not be happy in a ten gallon tank, and as they grow they will become more and more aggresive to all of the fish in the tank and to eachother. Pearls are one of the less aggressive species of gourami, but they can still be territorial. Are your pearls juvenilles? Do you know if they are males or females?
Please don't put the fish in a bowl for "time out". Your freind is right, this may help for a few hours (if at all) but very quickly they will be back to the way they were before so it's not going to help you and will only cause stress to the fish will could ultimately make it more aggressive.
With the proper setup, gouramis can be very good community fish and get along with many different types. You do have to watch mixing gouramis, taking care especially with the male to female ratio. Gouramis are cousins of the beta, and while beta's were in the past, bred to be aggressive towards eachother, it is a behavior found naturally to some degrees in the fish. Gouramis are the same way. Males will often fight over territories and females, and if you put two males in a tank that is too small, they will often fight to the death.
I keep gouramis with zebra danios and redfinned sharks, and in the past I've kept them with platies and tetras. In all cases, the fish get along perfectly fine so long as the gouramis are in a tank where they are happy.

Just a heads up though... I was moving my tanks one day and without thinking I put a large male threespot gourami in a ten gallon tank with a dwarf gourami. It was only for a half an hour and when I came in to collect the fish I found the dwarf gourami dead with a large hole bitten out of its side. It really didn't take long. So keep a real close eye on your fish, and consider separating them until you can get your larger tank set up.
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with destany, and think its a very good and thorough reply, - 10 G and more than one gourami is asking for trouble, - so I would really hurry with the 40 G ...
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DF,
As the others said, too many gourami's. (Particularily in a ten gal. That is a cage match waiting to happen!)
They are beautiful fish but can be aggressive (some dwarfs aside). Only one in a ten gal. really (except perhaps 2 dwarfs). Even if they seem peaceful now that will all change when one or more come into breeding condition and especially if eggs are laid. The problem with a gourami only tank is that you have multiple territorial fish fighting over the same piece of real estate, ie. the surface of the tank. Why not divide your tank into three zones (top, mid and bottom). In a ten gal. you can then stock a dwarf gourami (top), a small school of tetras guppies or what have ye (mid), and perhaps some dwarf cories or or a small loach.
Otherwise, if your heart is set on gouramis, buy a big tank and grow surface plants like duckweed or water lettuce and use tall ornaments that will divide the tank into distict territories.
The paradise fish grows quite large and is a cooler water fish than the other gouramis. Perhaps one in a cool water tank with some W.C.M.M.'s or zebra danios and a hillstream loach or two if you can find them.
Just my T.C.W.
Good luck!
a deadly fart
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to go with 6-10 danios for now just to get some more movement in the tank. The whiteclouds did appeal to me but the temp difference got me thinking otherwise. If not the danios maybe some rasboras if they cheap and around too. Like I said the 40gal is coming in the summer perhaps I'll pick it up next month and get it cycling so that its ready when I move back home. Then maybe pickup a kuhli loach and a paradise (the fish that got me back to all this). Was also wondering about a red tailed black shark for latter in the 40gal but would it eat smaller fishes or kill my gouramis?
linz85
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my two opaline gourami's with platies guppies danios and a loach. so far no probs.I wouldnt add no more fish to that 10g tank, think of the poor conditions for your fish, overcrouding, waste issues.
its not fair for the fish Confused
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

a deadly fart wrote:
I think I'm going to go with 6-10 danios for now just to get some more movement in the tank.

You seem a bit over stocked as it is, that's a lot of fish for a ten gallon, if you're getting your 40 gallon tank this summer, why not wait until then?

a deadly fart wrote:

The whiteclouds did appeal to me but the temp difference got me thinking otherwise. If not the danios maybe some rasboras if they cheap and around too.

I like rasboras, and eventually, I plan on trading in my danios to get some. They're schooling fish, so you need to get a few of them. They also like fairly soft water and a heavily planted tank. They also need plenty of swimming space, these would be a good choice for your 40 gallon, if you don't have too hard or alkaline water.

a deadly fart wrote:
Like I said the 40gal is coming in the summer perhaps I'll pick it up next month and get it cycling so that its ready when I move back home. Then maybe pickup a kuhli loach and a paradise (the fish that got me back to all this).

Kuhli's are nice, but they are nocturnal and if you're looking for movement or something they may not be what you're wanting. You almost never see them and they don't really make good community fish as they often can't compete with other fish for food. They also can be targets for more aggressive fish. These also are happier in groups, and may be something to consider for a species tank in your 10 gallon, once your 40 is ready for the other fish.

a deadly fart wrote:
Was also wondering about a red tailed black shark for latter in the 40gal but would it eat smaller fishes or kill my gouramis?

Red tailed/finned Black Sharks can be territorial and aggressive, especially towards eachother, but if it has a cave or a place to call it's own it would be fine. They can't really eat smaller fishes since they have pretty small mouths, and I certainly wouldn't worry about them eating a gourami, but you may notice a bit of chasing or bullying, it just depends on the set up and the individual fish.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: