Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
what to do?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam hunt
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)21:35    Post subject: what to do? Reply with quote

I have a 30 gallon tank. I have 2 platys, a pleco, rainbow shark, and 2 kissing gouramis. my bigger gourami keeps chasing and haseling my smaller gourami. would it be a good idea to get rid of my smaller gourami. I know its not good for the smaller gourami, but do you think this also causes stress for the other fish and the larger gourami.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)4:29    Post subject: Gouramis Reply with quote

Your kissing gouramis are going to become worse to each other and to the other fishes in your tank as they grow to 30cm. Check the Age of Aquarium fish gallery on the kissing gouramis. Try other gouramis as there are better choices available. You will have to take the kissing gouramis back to the local fish shop.

from Josh
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, I see a lot of posts here where people have fish that are going to get too large for their tanks. a lot of times, fish store employees won't tell you if a fish will be too large or not, because they don't care about the outcome of their fish, only the money they make from the sale.
Everyday, people on this board are told the fish are too big for their tank, take them back to the pet store.
In your case, the pink kissing gouramis can get quite large, and in my personal opinion, I wouldn't even house more than one in a 55 gallon tank. But I want them so badly I went and built a pond in my back yard for them, lol! Now I just have to wait till the weather warms up before I can get them.
Also, your plecostomus. What variety is it? Some pleco's, especially the "common plec" which is what most people have get quite large, about a foot.
I hate telling people "take them back", even though Josh is right and that is the best thing for the fish. You could also consider getting a larger tank if that's feasable, but it would have to be a VERY large tank.
Keeping fish in tanks that are too small for them will not only increase the maintenance you have to do - like constant water changes, siphoning, cleaning the filter, replacing carbon or other filter media, it's very stressful and damaging to the fish as well. Pleco's don't move around too much, they are fairly sedentary fish, however, gouramis need a lot of room at the top of the tank to swim. There is also a great risk of stunting the fish's growth, which unfortunately is commonly practiced and even advised by some fish stores to this day, but it causes serious problems for the fish and leads to an early death.
Having said all of that, in the least, yes, you should take back one of the gouramis, they will only continue to fight and the larger one will ultimately kill the smaller one. You may want to watch the gourami with the other fish in the tank as well, they can be aggressive to other fish. And gouramis in too small a tank, they will kill everything in there - wether it's a pink kisser in a 30 gallon, or a threespot in a ten gallon - they can be extremely territorial.

Good luck with your fish!
sam hunt
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)22:36    Post subject: Thanks!!!!! Reply with quote

I think I am going to get rid of one of the gouramis, and keep the other one. I really like it and it doesn't hassle any other fish, except for the smaller one. And yes, the pleco is a common one. Everything in my tank seems to be going well. Thanks for the advice.
Doosharm
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sam,
I really don't mean to be a jerk, and I normally don't respond to posts like this but I think you need to reconsider your choice of only bringing back the gourami. Look at it this way, your fish are doomed to die an early death. Their internal organs will grow while their bodies will not since they are in such a small space. That's if they aren't killed because of aggression first. So, if you won't take measures to make sure that your fish live a lengthy life why spend the money? You should act now and try to return your fish and get your money back instead of just flushing it down the toilet so to speak. But hey, its your choice and your money. Good luck.

Doosharm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: