Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mollies with Polio?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cootrp14
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)20:27    Post subject: Mollies with Polio? Reply with quote

My silver Lyretail mollies are all starting to get a kink in their back, and their tails are drooping. Anyone else experiance this before? I have checked the water and everything comes up good. The nitrates are a little higher than normal, but still nowhere near dangerous. Please help.
cootrp14
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more research on this, and it looks like it may be a case of fish TB. If it is, are there any know cures for this? I have had one fish with these symptoms since I got him from the lfs over a year ago, and the rest of the mollies are second generation. 5 fish need your help. Please. Thanks
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be piscine TB, though it is fairly uncommon. It could also be Neon Tetra Disease, which can also cause spine curvature if very advanced and can be caught by fish other than tetras.

Regardless of which disease it is, there is very little chance that the fish will survive it. Your best bet would probably be to remove the fish and euthanize them.

***If it is TB, be very conscious of being extremely cleanly after handling the fish. Avoid touching your face while handling them. Piscine TB is transferable to humans***

Jake
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

cootrp14, I am curious and would like to hear more about your tank. What size is the tank and what are the test results for the water parameters... Especially the nitrates that you said were higher than normal. Did you lose a fish to this? Where's the mom? How old are the other fish affected? How often do you perform water changes and how much?

It could be a birth defect too. TB isn't the only reason for a bent spine. Just in case I would recommend washing your hands thoroughly after dealing with the tank, as benedictj said, but I believe most do that without saying.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: