Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
to eel or not to eel, that is the question
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)18:43    Post subject: to eel or not to eel, that is the question Reply with quote

I have the thirty gallon tank currently with eight fish in it. I have:
1 male swordtail
1 female swordtail
1 female platy
2 dwarf gourami
2 pearl gourami
1 dwarf afican frog (I am not counting him as a fish)

I keep my tank pH at 7.0 (or somewhere around their)

I want an eel, but I don't know much about them. I like the tiretrack eel, but I don't care, I just want an eel. Would an eel be a good idea for the tank? What Kind of eel, if any? How many eels would be the maximum amount?

Please do respond! Any kind of advice or help I will greatly appreciate!!! Thankyou so much!!!
AximiliOracle
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I personally would reconsider, unless you will completely dedicate yourself to it. Here's why.

First of all, eels are insanely good escape artists. Mine was smart, it was a tiretrack that could open the lid of my aquarium of filter. He eventually jumped out and killed himself. cover all openings, even the tiniest cracks.

After this was (apparently) solved, my eel refused to eat and I had to nearly force feed it. One day it was eating from my fingers, the next trying to starve itself.

Then, after all of that, he got ich because he was getting stressed somehow (something to do with a ropefish:D ) . Also, watch out, he may get too big for your other fish and make a buffet out of them.

All in all, however, the eel was the most (slender), talented, interesting thing I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. If you take good care of it, it will be your best friend. Razz
AximiliOracle
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, watch for tank size when choosing.
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that advice!! I'm glad I didn't go out and get one, for I may hav had some trouble. One more question; there are cirtain loaches that hav eel like appearances. Are loaches good fish?
qwerty123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the eel question, I agree with AximiliOracle you have to close all openings and always make sure your tank is covered. My first eel jumped out and killed himself because I forgot to cover the tank before I went to bed and then I got another one and jumped out one night when I was almost asleep, its still alive. And I agree with AximiliOracle again about them eating, back in the day my eel didn't burrow and would eat about 6 earth worms per day and then all of a sudden it completly stopped. It hasn't ate for about 3 months and its still alive, I don't no what its eating now. I have tryed everything.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)3:43    Post subject: Eel Reply with quote

If you want an eel why not try a spiny eel as this fish is compatible with all my fish I do not know about the frog as we are not allow this type of frog in Australia. However I have a wire mesh over the cut corners over my tank because I lost the first one from jumping. The spiny eel living with wide range of fishes such as black neons, rainbows, giant dianos, clownloaches, angels, gouramis and dwarf cichlids. Fire eel will get too large for your tank. Remember the spinyeel needs live or frozen foods and provide good cover.

Good luck

from Josh
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with some kuhli loaches. look like eels and very great fish. cept they have a problem with finding their way into hob filters(I often had the fun of fishing mine out of the filter and putting them back into the main tank!) and out of the tank and onto the carpet. cover all exit points.

andrew
2 winged demons
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheather loaches (dojo's) are good as well and swim like water snakes.. pretty neat to watch. I had one but I didn't have the right gravel for him to burrow and one morning I woke up to find him stiff and dead.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: