Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
angel fish and platies
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)16:23    Post subject: angel fish and platies Reply with quote

is it alright to have 10 or more platies with angel fish?
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big of a tank do you want to have them in? Are there anything else in the tank?
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not reccomend putting a platy with an angel. First of all, platies love hard, alkaline water, and Angels love soft, acidic water. Angels will also eat the smaller platies when they get bigger. If you have your heart set on Angels, I would suggest you put them with nice, hardey, peaceful, dwarf gouramis. (dwarf gouramis are great, for they go with most fish as long as the fish can't fit it in his mouth). If you're heart is set on platies, then you should put them with guppies, mollies, other platies, and swordtails. Just make sure you don't put swordtails with guppies, for they will eat the guppies. Here's my tank combination: platies, swordtails,dwarf gouramis, pearl gouramis, moonlit gouramis, a pleco, and a dwarf african frog. (I listed this so you could get an idea what can go with platies)
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read that angels actually *need* soft water; I know they can tolerate quite a range unlike most cichlids, and do very well. Many people successfuly raise and breed them in medium-hard water, and sometimes in very hard water. Extremely hard and alkaline water, on the other hand, is probably a different story. See:
http://www.angelsplus.com/breeding.htm#water

But I don't think platys is a good idea with angels. My large angel bullied two platys when I tested them out in his tank. I can conceive of angels eating small ones too. Swordtails on the other hand are livebearers which are fine in my angel's tank.

Laskey (glad to have two aquariums, LOL)
geoff
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:15    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

the tank is 120L with one leopard dianio(I am going to get more soon).
geoff
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I can see you know quite a bit about gouramis I was also wondering why my gold gouramis( 5cm long) was continuously teasing my pearl gourmis(2.5cm long). what do you think? Question
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold Gouramis are semi aggressive. Pearl gouramis are peaceful. Gold Gouramis chase and pick a lot, but I havent seen injuries or deaths stemming from it. Mine do the same thing to my blue gouramis and paradise gouramis. Cool
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: