Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
severe discoloration
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ace869
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)13:25    Post subject: severe discoloration Reply with quote

I POSTED YESTERDAY THAT MY TANK IS IN THE CYCLING STAGE AND [code]HE NITRATES ARE SKY HIGH AND I NOTICED MY NITRATES ARE RISING ALSO THERE IS NOW GREEN ALGE TO GO WITH THE BROWN IS THIS ALL NATURAL OR IS THERE SOMETHING I NEED TO BE DOING TO FIX THIS.[/code]
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what cycling is? Ammonia spikes and drops, Nitrite spikes and drops, Nitrate tends to keep going up unless you have a system that is capable of Natural Nitrate Reduction, or a Denitrification device. That's the definition of cycling, well, with nutrient load of course and subsequent bacterial colonization. Algal blooms are not really hand-in-hand with cycling, they're more apart of natural maturation. Diatoms usually come first, then hairs, bubbles, and possibly cyanobacteria. Perfectly normal part of the maturation process.
ace869
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)11:14    Post subject: severe discoloration Reply with quote

I understand but I have read boos and countless articles regarding cycling and nothing mentions algae growth during cycling. THANK YOU FOR ELIMINATING MY CONCERN AS THE AMMONIA IS PRACTICALLY 0 and the nitrites are real low as well. I was just concerned as I have invested a bunch of money so far and am about to invest in a lot more as I am looking to purchase a 360 gallon tank to go with this 90.

john
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like I said, there's a difference between cycling and maturation. You will likely experience the normal blooms. If you're primarily interested in getting fish in, you can stock as soon as the cycle is over. HOWEVER, if you let a SW mature for a bit, untill all of the blooms pass, before adding fish, the likelihood of recurring blooms down the road becomes less.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: