Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Strange larva in my tank?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)7:10    Post subject: Strange larva in my tank? Reply with quote

I'm not sure this is the proper place, I don't consider this a disease or a disaster, I just would like to know what these are and if I need to worry about them.

Being that the weather has been nice, we've kept the doors open, so all manner of bugs and flies can get in and lay eggs in the tank... Usually, I'm sure the fish eat them, but as this is a fry tank with three day old fry, there's nothing to eat these things.

The start off as little wiggling worms, very thin and completely transparent with a black head. Only about 2mm in length, I'd say and very thin.

Then they start developing little nubs on the back that grow into wings.

I've seen a few of these adults, again, only about 2mm long you have to really search to find them. The wings are transparent sort of green color. They can't get out of the tank, so they usually fall into the water and drown.

I think they may make nice food for the fry in a few more days when the fry is old enough to eat them, any guessers or insect people who can tell me what these are and if I should be at all concerned about them?
M249spence
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like some kind of midge/gnat/fly (diptera)...you seem them skimming all over the puddles and pools all across the states or when they fly and get stuck in your eye. I'm in the ozarks and I saw some last week canoeing on the buffalo.
I'd just consider them free food for your fry. the adult fly shouldn't be a problem (thier diet normally consists of nectar, blood (non-fishy), or nothing at all) and neither should the larva obviously since they're the main course. if it really bugs you just keep the adults out of the tank, but it sounds like it's pretty cool to watch!
I would make sure you don't get any dragon/damselfly larva in there though...
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: