Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mysterious deaths
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shazz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)7:29    Post subject: mysterious deaths Reply with quote

hi again ya I think my tiger barbs and gold barbs are rubbing themselves with my rocks and stones. I will try parasite medicine but I want to now what cause that parasite on my fish gills. one more disaster happened which is that they aint eating the food properly like before when they were introduced into the tank. I ll try to put airstone in it whenever I am free.
one more thing my waters cloudy but I had added the water conditioner in my tap water so how come my water gone cloudy.
thanks everyone
shaz
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)9:12    Post subject: parasite medication Reply with quote

Parasites come from new fish from the aquarium shop or from fish taken from the wild enviroment. In the past I have experience water cloudy problems from ammonia or chlorine so it worth testing. I do not know what your tap water is like or whether you live in warm climates. I have been caught out before even when I have adding manufacter recommended chlorine neutraliser to still have chlorine in my aquarium water and has particular revelant when the council has to overdose their disinfectant for algae blooms in water source used for tap water. Chlorine can kill your nitrifying bacteria causing cloudy water and cause rapid breathing and death.. Another reason for cloudy water is your nitrifying bacteria involved in the nitrogen cycle has died causing ammonia and leads to fish rapid breathing and death. When the fish are rapid breathing from chlorine and ammonia cause an automatic response for all the fish tocome up to the surface to breath. Nitrite can cause similar response but not the cloudy water. pH can cause a similar response to Nitrite but the fish eventually adjust to the pH and become used to it provided the pH is stable.

Some aquarium people say why worry about Chlorine test kit but when you have lost half of my fishes from it and you prove it by water test that it was responsible then I do consider chlorine a problem. I now test the aquaruim water after the water added and the chlorine neutraliser added.

I have tried to come up with the most likely reasons that are causing your problem but it is better if I can see it.In summary check water quality, parasites and use an airstone.
I hope the information helps and if you have any problem do not be afraid to email.

from Josh
shazz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)13:15    Post subject: mysterious deaths Reply with quote

I've got some pictures of my fish tank which I can send it to you.l

shaz
shazz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)13:22    Post subject: mysterious deaths Reply with quote

today all of a sudden my water in the tanks gone less cloudy but it formed a hard layer on the top. so the water on top is not moving. will this effect the oxygen in the water. help
thanks
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hard layer on top of the water? Can you describe it a bit more?

Also, a few questions. Can you tell us how large the tank is? What kind of filter are you using on it.

Jake
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)14:13    Post subject: Re: mysterious deaths Reply with quote

shazz wrote:
I ll try to put airstone in it whenever I am free.

You need to get that airstone in there asap. It takes a matter of minutes. Just drop a stone in attached to some tubing and plug it in to a pump, kinda a novice and quick way to do it if you seriously don't have a few moments to plant it down in the gravel. I recommend the green air sticks with suction cups. Easy.

I suspect a problem with o2 in your tank. The fish are up top looking for o2. Water visability will deteriorate without proper o2 as well. Get some air flowing in there asap.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)14:25    Post subject: Re: mysterious deaths Reply with quote

davidk wrote:
You need to get that airstone in there asap.

It's really hard to say if this is going to do the trick without knowing what your filtration is like or without knowing what your water parameters are. The cloudy water in your tank really has all the markings of a nitrite or ammonia issue. Nitrite and ammonia cause serious respiratory issues for your fish which will cause them to gasp at the surface if severe enough, adding an airstone will do little to counter act the damage that the ammonia and nitrite will do, damage which is permanent for the most part.

That's not to say that adding an airstone is a bad idea, but I don't think it is the solution and I think it would be really remiss to view it as one.

I think your first order of business should be to do a massive water change, about 50 to 60% of the water in the tank. Then grab those test kits. If you can't splurge on a master kit, just get pH, ammonia and nitrite. Also, fiddle around with your heater and get the temp down to about 78 degress farenheit.

Jake
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but it sounds like his tank needs an air supply. Massive water change is always a good idea. don't change the filter for about a week after the water change, buy some used media from the fish store and place it in your filter of tank somewhere. Use non tap water for your water change refill. Go to the dollar store and pick up a few gallons for cheap. Starting over with clean water and live bacteria is sometimes the way to go. Smile
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)15:46    Post subject: mysterious deaths Reply with quote

hmm the top layer of water is kind of hard and its not moving. few air bubbles are stuck to it. the inside water is moving due to the filter. I' ve got 40 L tank about 18"x12x12 inch with fluval plus 1 filter. interpet heater which is set to 24 c but my digital thermometer says 28 on it. basically the water is getting less cloudy but its forming layer on top.
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewww, that sounds like my dirty neighbors pool during non summer months. They let it sit and it turns green and mosquitos breed in it. I throw little stones and berries from a tree in my yard over to the pool, and it breaks through a layer of slime. You should get a smaller tank for temporary fish storage, and move your fish over to that one using the current water in your bigger tank. Start over fresh and let it cycle like normal using the old filter for bacteria, OR go to your local fish store and pick up some media which will already have bacteria in it. Your fish may die, but at least you can start fresh and get it perfect this time. This is why you should also consider setting up a smaller tank and letting it cycle in case you have to move your fish in emergencies like this. Good luck Cool
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: