Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mysterious deaths
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shazz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)1:43    Post subject: mysterious deaths Reply with quote

hi everyone. I am just posting this topic becasue I am concerned about my fishes dying.
basically I had a new tank running for 2 weeks without fishes and bought 2 gold barbs 2 tiger barbs and 2 white ember barbs. I put them I my tank and next day on of my ember barb started going on the surface and after a while died. it couldn't move before dying. then a bit later my other ember barb died same way. they had also stopped eating. can anyone tell me why my fishes are dying.

shaz Embarassed
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)3:05    Post subject: water quality Reply with quote

You can either buy yourself water test kits or get the aquarium shop to test the water for you. I believe your water quality in the fish tank is poor and the bacteria has not cycled.

Good luck

from Josh
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of cycling your tank? Read these:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ciclo.php

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
shazz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)15:23    Post subject: mysterious death Reply with quote

hi again. I had my water checked at the retailer shop and they said that the ammonia, pH, nitrate level is alright and basically they said the water was alright for fish but still I am having problems. today I lost one more ember barb and other tiger barbs are doing the same thing. I mean going on the surface please help!!
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)23:25    Post subject: fish dying Reply with quote

Did the your fish die after a water change and what fish are in your tank.Are there any fin marking, body damage and mysterious markings like salt grains on your fish. I will need this information to help you better.

Thanks Josh
shazz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)15:14    Post subject: mysterious deaths Reply with quote

hi no the fish has no cuts or grains its normal looking. I did not do any water changes yet but after they both died my other fishes are doing the same since yesterday now. they all stay on the surface of water. 3 tiger barbs, 2 gold barbs and 2 bosemani rainbowfish. they all stay at top and don't come at bottom. my tanks heater is set to 24 c but my thermometer shows me 28 c. is the temperature affecting it or what I don't no. please help.
thanks josh
shaz
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)15:33    Post subject: Re: mysterious death Reply with quote

shazz wrote:
hi again. I had my water checked at the retailer shop and they said that the ammonia, pH, nitrate level is alright and basically they said the water was alright for fish but still I am having problems. today I lost one more ember barb and other tiger barbs are doing the same thing. I mean going on the surface please help!!

I would suggest you buy some kits. Not to speak badly of any shop, but they do have a tendency to say things like your levels are 'okay' or other niceties when they in fact aren't. With the number of fish you are losing and the short time your tank has been set up, it seems that ammonia and nitrite poisoning are probably the culprit. As noted in the articles Marcos posted up, the only safe levels of ammonia and nitrite are zero.

Until you have kits and can test yourself, I would just keep up with the water changes. They generally reduce the levels, but without hard numbers it is pretty hard to tell how effectively.

Jake
shazz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)15:53    Post subject: mysterious deaths Reply with quote

hi I would buy a test kit and test the water myself. I just want to say one more thing is that I had changed about 15% of my water today and for a while all my fishes came at the bottom for a while and started playing but after about an hour they went back up. thats why I think theres something wrong with the ammonia levels and all that.
thanks again and ill buy a test kit tommorow Laughing
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

good deal- Once you get your kits, post up your results if you have any more questions about how to keep the ammo and trites in check

Jake
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)3:51    Post subject: fish dying Reply with quote

Have you look at putting an airstone in the fish tank as when the water becomes hotter there is less oxygen. You will notice the airstone make a difference in the tank very qucikly. What does your fish tank water look like is it clear or cloudy. If the water cloudy then the water could be contaminated with chlorine (happens after water change) or ammonia. Another water parameter to look at is pH or Nitrite . Another thing to look at are parasites on the fish they can cause irritation in the gills. Medicate with a parasite medication particular if there is irritaion on the gills and rubbing themselves against things.

Good Luck

from Josh.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: