Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to this, need advice on first fish...
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duncanmaclean
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)20:30    Post subject: New to this, need advice on first fish... Reply with quote

Just starting out....

I have a new 20 gal tank that I am planning to introduce 6 Zebra Danio into tomorrow. I am looking OK from a water testing results perspective.

I was going to add (in this order) every 5-7 days...

3 - 4 Peppered or Bronze Cory

3 - 4 Rosy/Red Barbs

2 Dwarf Gourami

I am also concerned as to the temp for combos of really any fish as some seem to like the upper 60's while others the upper 70's.

Thanks....
ram man
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

what were the readings from for ammonia nitite and nitrate and pH? is it cycled?

2 gallon
-blue and pink betta pinky ( yes after the friday movies
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)13:03    Post subject: BioSpira Reply with quote

If you want to add fish right away, I suggest locating some BioSpira to get the necessary bacteria in to the tank. Otherwise you have a long 40 days of monitoring water tests and doing water changes.

You do have a test kit, right?
duncanmaclean
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a test kit....

Nitrite was low - I would say .25, but not zero, but it has dropped over the past few days nicely.

Nitrate was about 30

pH was a little too much towards the Alkaline side.... water is on the harder side here so I will be getting some pH decreaser.
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should spread out fish purchases. Most aquarium supplyers (plus me) will tell you to put in up to 5 fish a month. Since your tank may not have started the nitrogen cycle (it takes thirty days to fully start up), putting that many fish so close togeather may just shock your fish. You also might be putting a jumble of bad bacteria in your tank, not to mention paracites, so the stocking process should be slow and steady. I believe you mentioned you are a beginer? Thats another reason not to stock so quickly. if your a beginer, your water quality might not be as great as that of an expert (I am far from an expert as well), and that plus your tank won't be cycleing yet would also put you in a bad positin to stock so quickly. If I am wrong and you didn't state that your a beginer, go right ahead and do what you want. I want to give you advice, please don't take offence. Good luck with your new tank! let us know how it goes!
duncanmaclean
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone...

I ended up with 6 Danios - 3 Zebras and 3 Leopard - and will stop there for the next several weeks to see how things go. I know that is a lot to start.

I have also read that the 1/3 water replacement every 3 days is essential at the start. Is that true?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if you are nearly finished cycling (if trites are dropping and trates are rising, that's the natural conclusion). Still, I think you would be best off waiting until your nitrites reach zero before you add any fish, and then do so slowly.

As far as your temperature concerns, I think you would be best to keep it around 76f. The fish you currently have don't do well in cool temperatures, especially the cories and gouramis. 76 is a nice, standard temperature. Danios won't mind this temp at all.

One more thing- Avoid commercial pH decreasers. None of them last very long and they many have chemicals in them that will create issues in your tank. They are particularly notorious for teeing off algae blooms. Instead, search the older threads at this site for ways to lower your pH- things like peat moss and Reverse Osmosis water/filtration.

Hope that helps....

Jake
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: