Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking a 25 gal with cichlids?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuhsien
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)18:51    Post subject: Stocking a 25 gal with cichlids? Reply with quote

I want to start up a 25 gal and I really enjoy fish with personalities so I'm looking towards having some cichlids. I don't know much about these fishes, other than angles, discus and oscars.

Does anyone know of any good combinations of cichlids I can have? Do schools work, or pairs or just one single fish. I'm totally open to any ideas.

thanks
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to breed one pair of convicts, angel fish, firemouths, or maybe even a pair of parrot fish(even though they can't have fry there manmade)or you could just have a pair of those fish. Another thing you could get is a community of rams and if your lucky they might breed. And you might be able to have a few african cichlids in there but I don't know enough about them to tell you what you could put in there....
shuhsien
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I sex the angles, convicts, firemouths, or parrots?
Would I just have to buy more than two when they are babies?

Would I be able to add anything else (Small school) with the pairs?
Boydy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get about 4 small Rams - they are great fish! Blue Rams or Bolivian's would be suitable. These would also happily go with a small school of fish like any of your common (smaller) tetras.
Most of these Dwarf Cichlids however are difficult to sex when they are young, so if you want to breed then get a bunch of them and grow them up from a young age. As they get older they should (hopefully) start to pair off in breeding pairs.

Boydy
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about sexing parrots, convicts, or angels....but for firemouths since my dad has a breeding pair the male is bigger, has a darker sliverish gray and is more red around the belly and the female is smaller more whitish and doesn't have much red. if you wanted to go with rams you might be able to do 4 and if your lucky you could get a pair....I have 3 in a ten gallon and there fine so you might even be able to do 6 but that could be pushing it
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: