Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
diatom filtering
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)18:34    Post subject: diatom filtering Reply with quote

Is there any way to achieve the effects of a diatom filter without the filter itself? What I mean to say is, is it possible to buy the diatom filter medium and insert into another filter like say a power filter? I need one, can't afford one, never seen one and my LFS doesn't rent them out or even carry them for that matter. Thanks.
asaint
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

A diatom filter must work in conjunction with a micron cartridge of some kind. Without the micron cartridge, the diatom powder would get into the tank.

The good news is you can use diatom powder with either the Magnum 350 or HOTT magnum. Both come with a micron cartridge.

best of luck,
asaint
qwert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)9:13    Post subject: diatom filtering Reply with quote

The diatoms work so well because of their tiny size, is a miron cartridge the only way to go? Do you know of any other sorts of media, ie bio-poly fibers or other such absorption products, which wouldn't allow such small particles to pass? My plan so far is to put diatom media into my power filter but I need to put another piece of media on top so as to prevent it from entering the tank. Thanks for your time!
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your "power filter" is a hang on type it does not have the ability to force the water through a micron filter. A micron filter is required to use diatom powder. The diatom collects on the micron filter creating an even finer filter medium.

As assant said you can use any of marinelands magnum style filters with the micron cartridge for diatom filtering.

The only other options are an actual diatom filter such as the vortexx.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: