Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
90 gallon tank set up
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ace869
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)11:49    Post subject: 90 gallon tank set up Reply with quote

Hi I re-set up my 90 gallon tank a few weeks ago I used play sand from my home depot and cleaned it very well after a few days the tank cleared and then my live rock arrived it has bben in my tank for 10 days now I have added stress zyme to start the bilogical system and I am beginning to notice my live rock is turning brown Sad and I do not know if that is natural or something is wrong the ammonia has cycled but the nitrites are high. any suggestions or if this is all part of the cycling procees please let me know

John
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks like brown film, it is diatom algae. It appears in all new tanks and will disappear when all the silicates that are in your tank are used up. Then you will get some hair algae and cyano bacteria blooms which are realy fun. This is all normal as your tank matures. If your live rock turns purple that is good as that is corallline algae.
ace869
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here is my next question pretaining to this tank I have cycled it and added a few fish but I do not know if my sand bed is functionong properly. Can I add live sand to it at any time with fish allready in the tank..?

John
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: