Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Using bio wheel from Emperor400 to seed new tank?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoveTigerOscars
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)10:39    Post subject: Using bio wheel from Emperor400 to seed new tank? Reply with quote

I have a big established tank now with an emperor 400 biowheel. I am getting an emperor 280 biowheel to start a new tank. If the wheel size matches, would swapping one wheel from the cycled tank seed the new tank if I put it into the 280 rather than putting in the bran new wheel that it comes with? I may also swap out one of the media baskets on the 400 with the one in the 280 also. If it don't fit I will just take the ceramic out of the 400's basket and put it into the new one on the 280.
Will this be the equivalent of an instant cycle? I may also use bio spira, but was thinking that using the media from the old tank may eliminate the need to buy it????

Thanks!
kelpy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just that when I started my 30 gallon I had an emperor 400 on my 2 year old 55 gallon and I just put one of the old wheels from that into the new 280 and put the new wheel into the 55. Voila instant cycle!
I had no problems with either tank showing any rise in amonia or nitrites.. HTH
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)13:39    Post subject: media or wheels, not both Reply with quote

Yes, a great idea. But, only take one or the other, not both. You will greatly disturb the filtration in the old tank when you do this, so feed lightly for awhile!
LoveTigerOscars
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip! Thanks for that. I don't want to disturb my old tank too much. It also has an XP3 on it as well, but I know there is still a balance set with what is in the Emperor as well. Another good thing is that the old tank is lightly stocked.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: