Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Want help on a fish only setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)8:44    Post subject: Want help on a fish only setup Reply with quote

Well, I looked at the Tank Of The Month, and it opened a whole new world to me. I didn't know that one could keep a salt water tank like that! (Yah I'm new to this).

So, I REALLY want to try my hand at a salt water, fish only tank. I don't know where to start though. Can someone point me in a good direction? Any sites that I could go to which are good for beginners?

I have either a 10 gallon, or a 29 gallon which I could start this project in.
What would you reccommend for a filter? Protien skimmer? UV Sterilizer?any specific brands?

I also have been looking at the fish on liveaquaria, which are for beginners, and getting ideas of fish and such there. I am not sure if there are salt water fish stores in the city, but I will be finding out soon. If they do not have salt water fish in the city, I will have to order my fish online. Is this a good idea? Or should I stay away altogether if I have to order online?

Thanks a ton!

Oh PS, I am interested mostly in getting a clownfish (the less agressive types), and possibly a fire goby if I can find them in my area..
would they be good?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your a beginner to saltwater aquariums I would reccomend a 29 gallon, it will give you alittle bit of room to work with and easier to keep your water perimeters stable. For a filter I would say get the Aquaclear 300. There is no need for a UV sterilizer. You could get any species of Clownfish for your 29 and get a firefish. For a 29 gallon you should try and get 20-30 pounds of live rock and also get a good powerhead for added circulation. For more info try

nano-reef.com or reefcentral.com

55 gallon saltwater tank

Three 1 gallon Betta bowls
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For a 29 gallon you should try and get 20-30 pounds of live rock

lunar wants an fo tank not a fowlr tank. I agree a 29gallon tank would be way better for the setup your interested in. also no need for a uv sterilliser because with no invertabrates in the tank you can freely use medication. For your tank an aqua clear 300 would be a good source of filtration and provide the nessesary water movement. Also if you have the money possibly invest in a skimmer, trust me it helps control algae! with a good skimmer, filtration and decent water changes you could probably have one other fish along with a less agressive clownfish spceise and a fire fish.

good luck with your fo marine

andrew
2 winged demons
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far guys! I am really excited about this! If I have more questions, I'll let you know!
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is awesome! sorry to hijack the thread, but ever since I was young, me and my uncle kept MANY types of fish, always freshwater, I always wanted a SW tank, but I always thought you need live rock and anemones for the clowns..

so, you mean to say, if I say, buy a 29 gallon salt water starter kit, with all proper stuff, and I can set it up with all those fake but real looking coral ornaments, and after a good 4 weeks of cycleing(maybe 6 weeks) I can put SW fish in it?! with no live rock or anemones?! cool! so for a 29 gallon I'm gonna get:

2 snowflake eels
2 volitan lion fish
12 percula clowns
2 blue hippo tangs
24 firefish

is that over stocking?! Very Happy

just kidding..

again sorry for the hijacking!
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddness wrote:
this is awesome! sorry to hijack the thread, but ever since I was young, me and my uncle kept MANY types of fish, always freshwater, I always wanted a SW tank, but I always thought you need live rock and anemones for the clowns..

so, you mean to say, if I say, buy a 29 gallon salt water starter kit, with all proper stuff, and I can set it up with all those fake but real looking coral ornaments, and after a good 4 weeks of cycleing(maybe 6 weeks) I can put SW fish in it?! with no live rock or anemones?! cool! so for a 29 gallon I'm gonna get:

2 snowflake eels
2 volitan lion fish
12 percula clowns
2 blue hippo tangs
24 firefish

is that over stocking?! Very Happy

just kidding..

again sorry for the hijacking!

Was there a point to that post? Were you just being sarcastic, or was any of that meant to be serious?
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh crap, just reading it over, I realize I sounded sarcastic, I am very sorry for sounding that way, but I was not being sarcastic, I too just found out you can have a marine setup without live rock and all that..

lol sorry again for sounding sarcastic.

edit: the only thing I am still confused over, is how long to cycle the tank, I read it needs to be cycled for 2 months? thats pretty long.
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddness wrote:
oh crap, just reading it over, I realize I sounded sarcastic, I am very sorry for sounding that way, but I was not being sarcastic, I too just found out you can have a marine setup without live rock and all that..

lol sorry again for sounding sarcastic.

edit: the only thing I am still confused over, is how long to cycle the tank, I read it needs to be cycled for 2 months? thats pretty long.

Its OK.

As for cycling, you do it until it is done cycling.

Read the cycling artical on this site, It's helpful.

Have you ever kept fish before?
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, kept many fish Very Happy

I started the hobby with my uncle, I was 10 years old, and it was mostly him doing everything, when I was around 13, I started getting more involved in the hobby..

we had about 7 tanks total, with many different sets of fish, it went on for about 8 years, then a friend of my uncles came without us knowing, and put in a bag full of snails,shrimp, and 6 clownloaches in our 100 gallon tank..

the tank was infested with snails, and all our large, beautifull fish that we had for so long died, because my uncle was never good at curing ich..

after that me and my uncle gave up, but in our prime of fish keeping we had some prize fish, like a 7" black redtail shark that we had for 5 years, a albino pleco that was like 2 feet long, and many more..

only now I am getting back into fresh water fish, and I am thinking about salt water Very Happy
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddness wrote:
Yeah, kept many fish Very Happy

I started the hobby with my uncle, I was 10 years old, and it was mostly him doing everything, when I was around 13, I started getting more involved in the hobby..

we had about 7 tanks total, with many different sets of fish, it went on for about 8 years, then a friend of my uncles came without us knowing, and put in a bag full of snails,shrimp, and 6 clownloaches in our 100 gallon tank..

the tank was infested with snails, and all our large, beautifull fish that we had for so long died, because my uncle was never good at curing ich..

after that me and my uncle gave up, but in our prime of fish keeping we had some prize fish, like a 7" black redtail shark that we had for 5 years, a albino pleco that was like 2 feet long, and many more..

only now I am getting back into fresh water fish, and I am thinking about salt water Very Happy

humm.. OK.. I'm assuming you didn't do fushless cycling with those tanks?

I really suggest you read the fishless cycling artical on this site, if you need help finding it, let me know
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: