Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Truely disappointed :(
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksls
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)14:14    Post subject: Truely disappointed :( Reply with quote

I have had fish for several years and decided to get more involved in them. As some say becoming a fish keeper instead of a fish haver. Therefor I have some basic knowledge on how to maintain and care for them. As I decided to become more involved in keeping fish I have turned to this forum because it has MANY knowledgable people who seem to answer many questions.

I have posted several different questions, and YES on a couple I have gotten some helpful replies. I had posted in the Chemistry and Equipment forum about a week ago and was quite surprised when I had 36 views but NO replies. Since being a member of this board for about 4 months, I have noticed through other peoples posts that I shoud do the following BEFORE posting:
1) DO a search through other postings on the topic that I have interest in
2) RESEARCH!! Whether this be fish species, tank specs and equipment BEFORE purchasing.
3)Check out the gallery
4) RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

SO I RESEARCHED!

Then I decided to place my posting because I still had a couple unanswered questions. This was when I noticed that something was happening on this Board. It seems to me that the same questions are asked every few days. ie. What should I stock my tank with?...Why is my water cloudy? What is compatible with...?

This is one of the reasons I DID research this entire FORUM on my question. I Guess what I am saying through this LONG msg is that I have been very disappointed with the answers or lack of them on this website. I am a person who does research before posting and I don't usually give my personal opinion UNLESS I have some idea of what I am talking about. I seriously needed an answer to a particular question that was IMPORTANT to me.

SO my msg is as follows. I understand that most of you have had fish for very long periods of time and have been members to this board probably for just as long. SO I can see that you have seen the same questions over and over again. But please remember that you had to learn from someone at some point in time about this hobby that you have become addicted to. Please remember this when you see a new posting, whether the question is repetitive or not. And for the new people on this forum, PLEASE research you question BEFORE posting. Usually it has been answered at some point in time.

Sincerely, KSLS
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe this should go under Site Issues.

About the replies versus number of posts: sometimes the subject line is not enough for people to guess at the message. If your line reads Problems with pH, then it could be any number of things. Some people also read the posts as one does channel-surfing on television: to see what is on. Would you be more pleased if those who read the post but had no relevant answers simply posted "I don't know, maybe someone else will, good luck!" I can promise you after two or three of those replies you would be tired of it. I have posted questions and queries myself to receive many views, but no posts, which I take to mean that my question was not clear enough, or that no one has a satisfactory answer. This is why I post on other forums; second and tenth opinions are good.

I can understand your frustration, but do please also remember that a good majority of us do have lives beyond the subject lines. Hence if there is a usual answerer about 10 gallon stocking, he or she might give a shorter than usual response, or no response at all when the post is viewed if other things are going on in their lives.

The very reason the first reply to 'What can I put in my 5 gallon tank?' is 'RESEARCH' is because there are a myriad of stocking questions in Freshwater Basics, as well as elsewhere. And yes, it can be seen as adding fuel to the fire when someone replies with suggestions, because one could say that only encourages others to post and NOT research. Just remember that it is not a personal attack if someone does not assist you right away; I am certain that most of us have worked in a customer service position over the years, but this is not that world.

And to everyone who posts a query, the answer is important to them. Why else would they post?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most posts on this board receive answers, however repetitive the post. It's often the case with a forum like this that people read posts to see if they can help, and when they realise they can't, they don't post anything to avoid clogging up the board and wasting the posters time, rather than posting something inane. I was one of the viewers of your post on the Eheim but having no experience with this filter I did not feel qualified to answer your question.
I'm sorry that you are upset over this, but it's one of those things with forums - I would personally prefer to receive no posts than stupid posts! I would suggest that you research the filter on Google or similar, and bear in mind that you have 2 potentially HUGE fish (Clown knives can reach over a metre long) plus a large fish (Siamese Tiger fish 10+inches) in there, so the Eheim alone is probably not going to be enough. The larger the fish, the more the waste produced! Smile
joitoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the site and guilty of asking questions -while- researching. In spare time I even read posts that don't even concern me just to pass time, or because of interest and curiosity.

Sometimes though, research itself isnt enough, or you can't find the -exact- answer you'd like, and the opinions of others help a lot when that happens. Sure, its a bit troubling when many or som efo them conflict, but thats when it comes to choosing the advice you think is best or suits you the most.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)11:49    Post subject: Re: Truely disappointed :( Reply with quote

ksls wrote:
I had posted in the Chemistry and Equipment forum about a week ago and was quite surprised when I had 36 views but NO replies.

ksls, on behalf of my fellow admins, moderators, advisors and all other regular participants, I sincerely apologize that you didn't get the answers that you needed when you needed them. If you could point us to your unanswered question I will personally make sure that it is reviewed by the staff and an answer formulated. I did a search but I wasn't able to find any posts by you in that particular area.
Tommy
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: