Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Setting up 10 gal FO marine tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Lim
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)7:04    Post subject: Setting up 10 gal FO marine tank Reply with quote

Setting up a 10 gallon tank with protein skimmer and currently cycling. I have a few questions though. The water temp is 31 celcius as I'm in a tropical climate. My hydrometer is designed to perform at 25 Celcius, and so I read that the specific gravity of the water is affected by water temperature. So I adjusted my SG to 1.019 according to my hydrometer. Will this give me the optimum SG of about 1.022-1.024? I have not decided what fish to keep in it, but I'm considering a tomato clown. Any suggestions about what fish to keep?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

a tommato clown would get to large for a 10 gallon aquarium. Why do you have your water at 31'C, normally salt water fish tank temps range from 24'C-28'C.

also because you are doing a fo saltwater aquarium it is a lot cheaper than a reef or fowlr tank it would be wise to look into upgrading if possible to allow you to have at least more than 1 fish.

possibly inhabitants are small gobys, blennys and other small hardy fish.

andrew
2 winged demons
Joel Lim
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)8:19    Post subject: Re: Setting up 10 gal FO marine tank Reply with quote

Quote:
The water temp is 31 celcius as I'm in a tropical climate.

31 Celcius is room temperature year round. Wink
So it 1.019 fine?

I think I'll learn first with this tank since its its currently empty. I am willing to learn with just one or two fishes.

How about a pair of blue damsels?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

pair of blue damsels wouldn't work. damsels are gerneraly highly agressive. however 1 damsel would be fine on its own in such a small tank.

not sure about the salinity. I simply mix the water untill the specific gravity has reached 1.023-1.025.

it would be advisable to look into seeing if you can find a small fish that can be kept in 31'C water and in a small tank.

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: