Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
preparing ornaments
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joitoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)20:21    Post subject: preparing ornaments Reply with quote

I've been wondering on some things about ornamentation and rocks in tanks. At the local fish store the guy has firebelly toads in a 10 gal with a thin layer of gravel and lots of outside rocks for them to rest on. I asked if he sold rocks he said no that his wife found and washed them.

he said they soaped and watered the rocks clean

is that safe? I am so wary of using soap, even if I do rinse. is there a better way to clean outside rocks, and is there any type of rock I should avoid? what about tree branches, can I use a tree branch for setting up my tank? I don't ko wwhere to buy driftwood here like most tanks show in theirgallery.
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most any rock is safe for use in and aquarium.

As far as cleaning goes I personally scrub them in the sink with plain tap water to remove dirt.

Then if they are small enough I boil them for about 10 minutes to disinfect them. Make sure to let the rocks thoughally cool before adding to a tank though.

If they are too large for boiling you can soak them in a bleach and water solution for 24 hours. Then after the bleach water soak you should resoak several times with fresh dechlorinated water to rinse out the bleach. You can never rinse too much with this method. If you smell any sign of bleach keep rinsing till it goes away.
joitoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big pit I no longer use for cooking. would be good for boiling rocks I think. The ones I want to add are about 4-5 inches, not very huge, so will fit.

Thank you very much! I'll definitely do that.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: