Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ditching th african cichlids and going for somthing else....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)19:44    Post subject: ditching th african cichlids and going for somthing else.... Reply with quote

alright I'm thinkinng of ditching the african cichlid plan to redo my 55 gallon but I would like some american cichlids. I would either like a tank with something like 4 fire mouths 3 convicts my bristlenose pleco and maybe a few parrot fish in there as well. Or I would get 2 green terrors orr 2 jack demseys or some smaller fish that are sort of like oscars. would I be able to have 2 green terrors ot 2 jack demesys in the tank, or would 3 fire mouths, 2 parrot fish, and 2 convicts be better?
mbunafan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or would 3 fire mouths, 2 parrot fish, and 2 convicts be better?

I have never kept New World cichlids Sad so I am not sure about the stocking. I do see an issue of having an odd number of fire mouths though. I am pretty sure they are pair forming, so you might want to revise that plan to two firemouths, or you could sacrafice one of the parrots (they don't breed) for four firemouths.
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go with JD's and terror's your going to be pushing it. You'll probably have your upgrade your tank before you know it. These fish are territorial and need their space. You could try one of each, but I'm not sure if that's even a good idea either. I would go with something smaller like convicts, or firemouths. Convicts are aggressive too...and I'm not sure if firemouths can hold their own...but everyone had different experiences. If the convicts pair up...you'll definately have some dead fish...><"
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a male and female convict and 2 parrot fish but let the convicts breed but bring hem to the pet store or sell them or somthing.
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring the babies or the male/female pair back?
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

only bring some babies bac nnot all the babies idd keep a few
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well convicts breed like rabbits so you'd probably be needing to bring back fry pretty often...
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

id like to have cichlids but since convicts breed a lot then I'm thinking of not getting them, but I really want to get new fish but my stepdad doesn't want me getting ride of my oscar. is there anyway I could put any fish with a 5 1/2" oscar, because I read on someones post that you can't put anything with an oscar at a certan point if hes been in there for a wile?
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have an oscar in the tank? If this is your 55 gallon tank, I would just stick with the oscar and maybe 1 other fish for cleaning...DO NOT get a common pleco though, that would be over doing it. The oscar is going to grow over a foot and if he's set up some territory adding fish might not be a good idea...if you got rid of the oscar though then you could try some other cichlids...
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

insead of convicts and my oscar I thought of this today 2 severum, 2 firemouths, and 2 parrotfish and a blue crayfish.....
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: