Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Looking to Add a Small School to a 10g
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Avocado
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:50    Post subject: Looking to Add a Small School to a 10g Reply with quote

Good Afternoon,

Currently I have a 10 gallon tank that is partially planted that I am looking to add some fish to. In the tank now are 3 fish: two dwarf Gouramies (male/female) and a Senegal Bichir about 3-4 inches long. I know the Bichir doesn't belong in a 10 gallon, but thats what you get for listening to the workers at my local shop (which is why I am asking this here!).

I was looking to add a school of 5-6 Neon Tetras to this tank but have read that Gouramies don't get along with them. Is the Gourami/Neon Tetra information I read correct? What else would work? Or is it even feasible to add a small school to this setup?

And I guess while I'm at it:
I have a heavily planted 5 gallon with just a Dwarf Frog. Could a school of Neons do well in only 5 gallons?

Thanks guys!
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they would work in the 10 gallon tank but I know they will not work in a 5 gallon tank, because they will get nippy.
Johnny Avocado
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjh90 wrote:
I don't know if they would work in the 10 gallon tank but I know they will not work in a 5 gallon tank, because they will get nippy.

Thats what I was thinking too, but I definitely don't want to add only two or three.
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you wouldn't want to do that. You need at least 6 in every school otherwise the big ones will pick on the small ones.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neons would work with about 6 of them if the bicher was taken out of the tank, which he really needs a bigger tank just for him. I would suggest taking him back and getting the neons. You shouldn't have to much of a problem concerning fin nipping as the neons are the most peaceful of the tetras. IMO
Johnny Avocado
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Wright wrote:
The neons would work with about 6 of them if the bicher was taken out of the tank, which he really needs a bigger tank just for him. I would suggest taking him back and getting the neons. You shouldn't have to much of a problem concerning fin nipping as the neons are the most peaceful of the tetras. IMO

The problem is that my local shop will not allow me to return the Bichir (I've had him for 4 months). I am presently stuck with him until I get a bigger tank, which will probably not be until early summer and he isn't big enough to eat, yet! With that said, I guess it is not feasible then to add any Tetras. Thanks for your help!
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would probably wait. I don't know how fast the bicher would grow, so I don't think I would take any chances on it.
rjkd
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Avocado wrote:
Susan Wright wrote:

The problem is that my local shop will not allow me to return the Bichir (I've had him for 4 months). I am presently stuck with him until I get a bigger tank, which will probably not be until early summer and he isn't big enough to eat, yet! With that said, I guess it is not feasible then to add any Tetras. Thanks for your help!

What do you mean by he isn't big enough to eat yet?
Moo
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have one dwarf gourami and 4 neons, due to deaths a while back, and they seem perfectly healthy. So yes it is possible.
katybobady
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant to say "he is not big enough to eat them yet".

I also have a question sort of related to this thread so I thought I might post it here-
kjh90- you mentioned that if you have less than 6 in a shoal the 'big ones will pick on the little ones', I have 6 cardinal tetras that seem to have turned on eachother- I have asked the lfs and they said it is unusual as they are generally peaceful fish- do you think my problems are the amount of fish I have? I have posted this question before in the beginner section , but no joy Confused .
Its a 10g tank, they are being treated for ich at the moment, could this 'fin nipping' be a case of angry itchy fish?
Any comments would be helpful. thanks.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: