Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
BBA solution?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)3:15    Post subject: BBA solution? Reply with quote

hey,
I'm still having BBA troubles in my aquarium. it's a 75 liter w/ 22 watts of compact flourescent lighting. there are a decent amount of plants (probably more in future). I'm wanting to keep it all relatively low tech ie: no co2 injection. also unfortunantly seachem's excel is not available in any of my local fish stores.

my plan of action is to get my phosphate to nitrate ratio in check, as per this article. this means limeting the phosphates I put into the tank and perhaps adding kno3. to limet phosphates, I plan to switch to a phosphate free food and supplement with a phosphate-containing food (ie:bloodworms or regular flake) say once a week, or so tested levels dictate. the idea is that there will be enough phosphate for the plants but not for the algae. the kno3 dosed in the correct ratio hopefully will ensure I get no attacks from green or blue green algae later on.

Will this work? does it make sense?
also will my fish suffer from having a reduced level of phosphate in their diets?
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

c'mon... anyone know?

also, what P:N ratios have worked for you guys? in the article mentioned above, they suggest a 1:16 ratio but The Skeptical Aquarist suggests 1:4 in their fertiliser section. I've also heard people use .5 ppm phosphate to 10ppm nitrate which obviously is 1:20. what are people's experiences? maybe it depends on the plants you're trying to grow. I suppose it's best if I just experiment.

also are there other ratios I'll have to worry about like K:Ca? I read at the skeptical aquarist that should be 1:1.43. I have very soft melbourne water so very low Ca amounts. Do you think I;ll need to supplement, given my low lighting levels and hence relatively slow growth rate. whats the best way to add Ca? and can it be done without altering my pH too much? I think I should wait and see with that one until after I have the rest in order.

have I interpreted this stuff all wrong or what? I'm a bit unsure. does this redfeild ratio only apply to high light/CO2 tanks?

thanks in advance for any help or info on the subject.
Ross.
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that IME bba is from high nitrates.. also I have found that keeping my nitrate at between 5-10 ppm and phosphates below .25 I have a relativly algae free tank. this is only in my low light tanks.. my high light tank is a diffrent story.. I highly recommend a the black out method but most importantly find the problem before adding anything.. read this about low light tanks http://www.aquariaplants.com/lowlighttank.htm
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: