Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Return of the king and question.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cockroach
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)2:40    Post subject: Return of the king and question. Reply with quote

I wrote a while back about a 6 inch red turquoise discus I was given and was given good advice and heeded it. Now the king has returned to his new castle along with 3 2inch friends. I put them in a 55 gal and they are as happy as any discus I have seen. I cycled the tank for 2 weeks with 3.5 bounds of ceramic filter medium, 1.5 pounds of which already had all the bacteria needed and was safe to use because it came from another tank which had zero disease.I also have 1 pound of ammonia filtering medium and another pound of filter medium that takes out nitrates, nitrites and stablises pH. I treated the water in the new 55 gal with numerous medicines for numerous diseases and the 4 discus share thier castle with 5 peppered corys.

here is my question: all the discus are looking great with good colour except one 2 inch blue diamond hybrid. Yesterday I noticed his fins were clamped and he was hovering near the surface. His appetite still remains very healthy but his colours have darkened as well. I have studied him closely and there are no signs of any disease, external parasites or hexamita. I checked the water qualty and it is perfect, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, pH 6.7. I have two filters running on it and they are in good clean working order. What could the problem be???
Please any suggestions are welcome as always.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your nitrate readings? All those things that are removing the ammonia nitrite and nitrates may be damaging your bacteria colonies by starving them. What temp do you have them at?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)7:14    Post subject: temperature? Reply with quote

what is water temperature?

The ammonia removing material has me concerned also, I agree you are probably starving the bacteria. The big problem with that stuff is that you have no idea when it is exhausted and needs replacing!
Cockroach
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.29(Fri)2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet again thanks for the speedy replies guys. I went to the LFS where I bought the discus and he knew exactly what I was talking about.. he gave me 2 types of medicine called proto red for intestinal infections and a crystal form medicine called ani-paragone. after 4 hours of the medicine in the tank the dicus are already looking a bit better. My temp was at 29C but the LFS owner advised me to turn it up to 32C while medicating.

with regards to the ammonia filtering medium, it states that it takes away harmful elements in the tank but promotes the growth of "good" bacteria. how I am not sure but all my nitrate/nitrite and ammonia levels are stable and non existant almost. I think the infection could have come from the pep corys I put in the tank.

will keep you updated on the progress of their recovery.

Any views on adding 4 1.5inch clown loaches to the tank. I know they will get big eventually but I will get a bigger tank when that occurs, for now are they discus safe if quarenteened properly and can they live comfortably in 29C water?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: