Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Species which feeds on pleco fesces?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommymx
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)21:14    Post subject: Species which feeds on pleco fesces? Reply with quote

I have a tank for breeding daphina, growing up blue crayfish babies and some plants to grow in. I have a pleco in there and he leaves a lot of waste. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for what I could do to eliminate this waste. I would use a gravel vacuum, but the crayfish are tiny (<4mm) and there are quite a few.

I was hoping that there would be some species of fish that feeds soley (or could) on this waste. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks, Miles
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm...no fish feeds on faeces, thats like asking someone to eat yours, now that woulndt be nice, would it? lol get yourself a mini vacuum and take the faeces out that way.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have the baby crayfish, I would get an algae eater that poops a lot less. Or do without an algae eater and use a scrubby for the algae, which is what I do anytime I have fry tanks.
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)15:37    Post subject: no poop-corn stand Reply with quote

I hav a pleco, and I admit he does poop a lot, but there is no way to get rid of this poop other than returning the little pleco and getting an algae eater. There is no such thing as a poop-eating fish! It's like asking someone to eat yours, and by that I mean poop is poisin to fish like it is poisin to people. Also, having a pleco with fry is a little risky, for when plecos get big, they are omniverous. Good lucK ;D
fiffy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would worry more about the "alge eater" then the pleco when it comes to fry, or any other fish for that matter. I have found them to be far more agressive. Especially when my pleco isn't even slightly agressive. Razz
But most "alge eater's" tend to be more agressive from my experiance and that of other people I know.
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fish that I can think of that will most likely eat poo is the Scat.... but you need a brackish tank for them. In the wild they actually do eat deces that get drained into the estuaries from local natives homes.Good luck, but I'd just siphon that junk out of there.

Adam
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
135g. Needlenose gar, tiretrack eel tank
jersysman
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you must have an algae eater in there invest in some Otos. They will clean the algae, you won't have to worry about them eating your fry, and they are not aggressive at all.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)4:20    Post subject: feces Reply with quote

There are animals that will eat pleco poo as in nature there are decomposers on all natural wastes. I do not know of any fishes but maybe there are aquatic insects, bacteria or other micro organisms in the amazon where the plecos come from. I gaurantee you that nature will have something to break down pleco poo. Otherwise a place of no decomposers we will have these dead bodies or waste on the planet earth for thousands or millions of years not breaking down. Imagine the smell or the disease to the living biota including us and you can thank the decomposer such as the annoying flies.

from Josh
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: