Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Reasons for Spontaneous Murder?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbunafan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)20:52    Post subject: Reasons for Spontaneous Murder? Reply with quote

About an hour ago I went downstairs to my 55 gallon and found my smallest yellow lab being tossed around in the current and some fish picking at it. It was quite disturbing; its eyes were gone and most of the flesh stripped from its head. Sad Four hours before, the fish was fine. I've got five cobalt zebras, five red zebras, two big male labs and two (-1) juvenile labs, a johannii, and a synodontis catfish. The biggest BA in the tank is surprisingly one of the male labs. I put the johannii in just a couple days ago. Three days ago the mother zebra in the tank let go of her fry. I have yet to see the fry if they are still alive. Could it be the case of it getting to close to a hiding place for the fry? The big lab was tearing at the carcass quite a bit, so maybe he did it. That or he doesn't have much respect for the dead.

Any reason you can see why any one of these fish would do that?
akadiangirl
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there!

We had a similar experience with our tank a while back Sad We had 2 labs and I suddenly found one floating:( We have a blue Johanni who is the alpha male and suspected that he may have been the cause... A few months before we had gotten a flowerhorn that grew so big REALLY fast! About 2 weeks after we lost the yellow lab...there was once again chaos in the tank...another fish(don't know what kind it was...it was an african kind) was found hiding and in distress as he had been attacked too:( My roomate removed him and realized that he had no hope..so down the toilet he went:( We decided to do a major cleaning of the tank as the pH had been off by a teeny bit. As we were cleaning...we noticed a tiny lab swimming around!! We hadn't seen him before and realized that obviously the labs had reproduced and this one somehow survived!! We decided to get rid of the flowerhorn as he was hogging ALL the food and was getting huge and aggressive. A manager at the pet store took him home to his tank. We have since been able to add more fish without major incidents...so we have decided that the flowerhorn was maybe creating the havoc. Don't know if this helps any...
mbunafan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess some fish just have a malicious nature. I think I have figured out a possible suspect, and it is this crazy booger of a zebra. Notice in that thread I talked about how it attacks the head area. The flesh was pretty well stripped from the fish's head.

Another thing, the little labs, which are much smaller than the rest of the fish in the tank, basically go untouched. Before incident, neither of the little guys were missing any parts of their fins.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: