Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pink fluff!?!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alix
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)20:21    Post subject: Pink fluff!?! Reply with quote

Hey, I'm pretty new to this...anyways...I just looked at the back of my tank and
I saw what looks like a wad of pink cotton candy down on the gravel, about
1.5 inches in diameter?

...and I have no idea what it is...any help would be appreciated!
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just remove it, and see what it is? How big is your tank and what are the inhabitants?
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have been over-feeding, and the food has begun to go moldy in the gravel.

What foods do you feed your fish? How much, and how many times a day?
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)14:02    Post subject: take out the gravel Reply with quote

To get rid of this nasty "cotton candy", first, take out all the gravel. Clense it by putting it in a strainer and rinse it VERY thorougly with scalding hot water. By scalding, I mean steam rising from the gravel as you rinse. DON'T USE SOAP,FOR YOUR AMMONIA WILL GO UP AND YOUR FISH WILL DIE!!! Also, do a fifty per cent water change, also, rinse your decorations. If the stuff comes back, ask yourself these questions: Am a doing a water change at least once or twice a month? am I using proper filteration? I'm I overfeeding my fish?
The fungus should clear up. Good luck!
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DON'T USE SOAP,FOR YOUR AMMONIA WILL GO UP AND YOUR FISH WILL DIE!!!

I presume you mean that because soap will kill the beneficial bacteria in the gravel right? Rinsing the gravel in scalding hot water is going to do the same thing! On top of that the dead bacteria will pollute the tank. As already mentioned I would just take it out and figure out what it is and see if it comes back.
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)14:57    Post subject: soap Reply with quote

Soaps are high in ammonia and some often kill red blood cells when consume/breathed by the fish. This is why you don't want to use soap in or around an aquarium. The benificial bacteria is in the water and won't be affected be cleaming the gravel.
jersysman
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beneficial bacteria is in the filter material, in the gravel, on ornaments, on the impellar of the filter, and the sides of the tank. The amount of bacteria in the water is not great at all. If it were, when we do water changes we would be getting rid of the beneficial bacteria. That is why when you see a new tank, you put some gravel from an established tank and put it in the new tank. Removing the gravel and running it under scalding water will kill the beneficial bacteria that is living there and cause the tank to go into a mini-cycle.

As others have stated, just remove the fluff, stop overfeeding, and hope that it doesn't come back again.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)19:11    Post subject: Re: soap Reply with quote

~sunshine~ wrote:
The benificial bacteria is in the water and won't be affected be cleaming the gravel.

This isn't really true. As jersysman pointed out, they are primarily on surfaces like filter media and gravel. This is why larger filtration systems use bio-balls, they provide more surface area for the bacteria to live on, thus allowing a greater bio filtration capacity.

Anyway, I agree. Vacuum or siphon of the fluff, cut back on feeding and keep up with your water changes.

It might be helpful if you posted up all the pertinent info on your tank. It could possibly resolved in other ways. So, what size tank is it, what fish do have, and what are your water parameters?

Jake
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: