Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Betta fish losing color
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffy16938
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)19:50    Post subject: Betta fish losing color Reply with quote

I have checked a lot of posts, and researched disease. My betta fish is a normally a vibrant red color and very active. I have noticed he is losing some of his color. He still eats well, is active. I am not sure what is wrong with him. I changed his water and it had a blueish tint to it, no idea how this happened. He's in a large one gallon bowl and gets water changes usually two times a week. Can someone please help me, I have had him about 2 months and I have grown very attached to him.[/I]
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Buffy,

Have you tested your water for everything including gh, KH, pH, nitrite , nitrate and ammonia ?

If there is a bluish tint ot the water then something MUST have gotten into the tank. Any young children around or is it on a surface where any household products could have gotten into it I.e polish etc.

It may be that he has something on his skin like an irritant.

Get back to us with your readings asap.

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
Buffy16938
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my betta is in a large bowl by himself. He's away from chemicals, the only thing I can think of is that he has different colors like marbles on the bottom of his tank and they are blue. I have changes his water, and he ate well this morning, more of his color did return, this is just the strangest thing....
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to get some color enhancing betta food. I am not sure what the overall affects are, having not had bettas before, but it might work.
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juding by your discription, I would conclude that your fish is most likely not sick. I hav a cute little betta named Oliver (my friend named him) and he is quite colorful. I keep him in spring water, but be sure to cheak the pH. Bettas like pH 7.0, but it doesn't hav to be perfect. As long as it isn't to acidic or way too alkaline, you should be O.K. Never keep them in straight tap water. I now someone who did that and he did loose his color. Also, try giving some live foods. I suggest feeding blood worms. Bettas love them, but make sure you buy them from a trusted supplier for you don't want to transfer disease to your tank. If his condition worsens, perhaps he has internal parasites. I hope that helps! Your little betta just sounds beautiful! Good luck!
linz85
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

can betta jump? because I had one in my tank and now he is nowhere to be found.the tank has only a small area where it is left uncoverd due to baby fry in a breeding net. I can't find no body lying around, but my dog is here and I left him for a bout an hour yesterday, could he of eaten the betta/ Sad
my poor fish
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linz- For future reference, you should probably start your own thread when you have a new question. Smile

Yes, bettas can and will jump.

---

Regarding the rest of the thread, it would really be helpful if you tested for ammonia and nitrite at the very least- both of those substances can stress bettas out, which will often cause them to lose their color.

Also, a one gallon bowl (volume is volume, there is no such thing as a large or small one gallon bowl) is pretty small for a betta. Some people keep them there successfully, but he would probably perk up quite a bit with more room to play in-- I know mine did. It makes water maintenance easier too.

What temp. is he at? low or fluctuating temperatures could also be the cause of stress. Bettas are tropical fish and do best at temperatures of 78-80 F, though they are hardy and will still live in other temps. (which is why so many people tell you that you don't need a heater for a betta).

Pi

Last edited by Pi on 2005.05.15(Sun)14:54; edited 1 time in total
linz85
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi my betta was not kept in a one gallon tank but a 125 litres tank.he was in the temps of 78-80and the the ammonia and nitrite were low as I'm doing frequent water changes to help cycle the tank. the hood of the tank is left up as I have a breeder net in there with baby guppy fry and a platy fry so thats where he would of jumped from. the flourescent lighting is 18 watt arcadia lighting. I had him for about 2 weeks. he was so beautiful.
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

linz85 wrote:
hi my betta was not kept in a one gallon tank but a 125 litres tank.he was in the temps of 78-80and the the ammonia and nitrite were low as I'm doing frequent water changes to help cycle the tank. the hood of the tank is left up as I have a breeder net in there with baby guppy fry and a platy fry so thats where he would of jumped from. the flourescent lighting is 18 watt arcadia lighting. I had him for about 2 weeks. he was so beautiful.

I was directing my questions at Buffy, who mentioned she had a one gallon bowl. Smile I'm sorry about your loss.

Pi
linz85
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sorry lol I didn't realize. Smile I read the thread properly next time Smile
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: