Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Over crowded?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra Danios do best in schools of at least 5. LFS means "local fish store."
gtdirtybird7
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, kjh90. So would 5-6 zebra danios fit in a 10gal?
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning to have the other fish you were talking about early in there also? If not you could probably have a school of 10 with some Corys or Otos.
StormRavin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 12 gallon planted tank and have 6 cherry barbs. I would recommend them! They are colorful and very peaceful, they also stay pretty small and they are mid level swimmers, I also have 5 cory's which are as you know bottom dwellers. The more fish you have the larger the bioload the more water changes you have to make and the closer you have to watch the levels. If you cannot keep up with the bio load then the tank is over stocked for you. Hope this helps!
Fishies4Carole
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! All ~

From my own experience??? I wouldn't get the Neon Tetras. I lost $30 worth of precious Neons, not understanding PROPER water perameters to owning them ~ they need a 6.8 pH (right?) ~ not to mention the ignorance of not knowing about ammonia/nitrites either! I didn't know it took more than fish + water + tank/bowl ~ Shocked

Look for community fish that have the same pH requirements and water temp, too.

I was still learning about water testing and cleaning habits, and didn't know a thing about *fishless cycling* BEFORE getting my fishes. Unless you have tons of money and don't care about the fishies' lives, you can always *do it THE HARD WAY* (just making a derogatory statement, not nasty remarks to you, okay? Smile )

Personally, I like the little Dwarf Froggy. Smile I had mine for about six months, until my Pleco (Sarge) sat on him and drowned him. Mad They're really fun to watch them swim around the tank. They don't bother the fish at all . . . but will eat the fish eggs, unless you're concerned about raising fry/baby fishies. (It gives a little diversity in the froggy's diet, anyway.)

Happy Fishing Smile

I started out a *Fish Haver* . . . now I'm a *FISH KEEPER* Very Happy
gtdirtybird7
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay how about this:
7 (or how ever many) zebra danios
4 of the smallest cory possible
2 ottos

and I've heard that ottos need to be in groups from some people and from others I've heard they don't. which one is it? (I do not want to start a huge argument(spelling?))

and thanks for the help!

~mike~
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 10 Zebra Danios, 4 Dwarf Corys, and 3 Otos. I would add these slowly after cycling though. Maybe 5 Danios then a week later the corys, a week later the Otos and one week later the rest of the Danios.
violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottos are social fish so they need at minimum a pair if not 3-4.

I prefer a 15H tank in comparison to a 10 gallon although the difference in price is about $20. if you had a 15H you could probably go with 5-6 penguins or even Glow lights.

Neon tetras are very fragile fish who do not adapt well to major changes in water conditions. the nitrogen cycle will kill them deffinately, thats how I lost a school of neons. the LFS guy said I didn't need to cycle my tank and that the Neons would do it just fine...liar!

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip the zebra danios; they require more swimming space than a 10 gallon offers.

I advise you to look again at the list in an earlier post about suitable, smaller tetras, such as neons, glowlights, etc. You are looking for fish that stay under 2 inches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recomend Glow light tetras over the neon tetras because from my own experience neons are very sensitive and can not handle flucuations in water parameters very well.

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: