Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Over crowded?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtdirtybird7
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)14:33    Post subject: Over crowded? Reply with quote

I am thinking about getting a 10 gallon (US) and heres what I want for my live stock:

4-6 Penguin Tetras
3 Corys
2 ottos
and maybe an invertebrate or that aquatic frog thing lol.

If this is over crowded please tell me what isn't. Thanks!

I'm new so if this is in the wrong spot please move it to the right spot.

~Mike~

Last edited by gtdirtybird7 on 2005.04.27(Wed)16:19; edited 1 time in total
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a GREAT set-up! Just make sure you get 6 of the tetras, thats the smallest grouping I would suggest.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also get a group of 4 cories, they do best in groups of four or more. Cool
akmal2
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats is OK.my tank is 75liter (20us gallons) . I had 2 rosie barb, 4 red eye tetra,6 tiger barb, 2 clowny tetra, 4 sarpaie tetra, a lot of shrimp that hide under stone n hide under the UGF, a betta and also 5 glowlight tetra, too many plants. n I still its under contorl. with your set up, its still OK I think........erm......are my tank is too crowded???hehehehe any comments?
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

akmal2 wrote:
I think thats is OK.my tank is 75liter (20us gallons) . I had 2 rosie barb, 4 red eye tetra,6 tiger barb, 2 clowny tetra, 4 sarpaie tetra, a lot of shrimp that hide under stone n hide under the UGF, a betta and also 5 glowlight tetra, too many plants. n I still its under contorl. with your set up, its still OK I think........erm......are my tank is too crowded???hehehehe any comments?

I would personally say your tank I s way over crowded..
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

while the penguin is an absolutely beautiful fish it can reach an adult length of 3 inches. after your get then to the propper schooling size of 6-7 fish you will be at 18-21 inches of fish in a 10 gallon.

then you add the cories - what kind of cory? - trhe dwarf cory reach about 1-1/4 inches and the black sail cory can get over 3 inches.

oto's OK - they get to about an inch and I would add them last to allow your tank to develop some algae.

personally I hate that stupid frog of snails in my tanks, but what ever floats your boat.

here is a small list of tetras who grow to 1-2 inches - neons, black neons, cardinal, glow lights, head and tail lights, rummy nose, lemon, gold, X-ray, diamond, emperor, silver tip, black phantom, red phantom.

with the propper filtration and water changes this set up can work, I just feel it is pushing it. but I have a planted 5 gallon w/ a betta 3 dwarf cories and 3 ottos so I understand the hassle of an overstocked tank.

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
ratsr #1
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
fter your get then to the propper schooling size of 6-7 fish you will be at 18-21 inches of fish in a 10 gallon.

The inch rule is full of flaws and really doesn't work. For example an oscar gets about 16 inches long. But by no means does it only produce the amount of waste as a group of 6 penguin tetras.

Quote:
I'm new so if this is in the wrong spot please move it to the right spot

That is overstoked those plans are more suited for a 20 gallon. That is bioload wise I am not familiar with how active penguin tetras are but their minimal tank size would be atleast 15 gallons probably more around 20 gallons or a little more. Also it does depend on what kind of cories you are getting like violentry mentioned. They vary in size and how much bioload they take up. Ottos are best in groups and so would do best with 4 or more. I would say drop the penguin tetras, ottos and the inverts for now. You could do the cories but first you shoudl decide on which kind you are getting. For example if you wanted 4 corydoras palatius that would be about 80% stocked but if you wanted corydoras leucomelas which stays a lot smaller you would only be roughly 50% stocked and could up your school a little. a lot of people I know for a 10 gallon do a small shoal of cories with a betta which is a nice peacable community.
violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my understanding the inch per gallon rule is to be applied to slim bodied fish like tetras, that was why I mentioned it.

if you only want / can afford / have enough space for a 10 gallon and want a small school of tetras check out the list I sent you of smaller tetras.

also with the numerous cory species make sure you ret a smaller one possibly.

but if you only have the space fot a 10 gallon, look into the 15 High, it is the same size as a 10 only taller.

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
ratsr #1
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even smaller types of fish the rule isn't good to apply but I do understand your reasoning and it would be about right for a penguin tetra probably. But all I am saying is that it is very poor rule and when considering smaller fish it is still best to look at all their behavior and other factors that decide their bioload.
gtdirtybird7
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Zebra Danios instead of Penguin Tetras? and I was planning on getting the smallest type of cory as possible. (btw LFS means live fish store right? Embarassed )

~Mike~
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: