Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
white spots problem
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
32Bit_Fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)11:38    Post subject: white spots problem Reply with quote

I have a 10g planted tank. It has 10 cardinals, 5 rummy nose, 5 red molly and 4 betta

Temp 82F, pH 7 and ammonia 0. I have a sunglo light on 8 hours a day.
Now all the fish developed tiny white spots on the fin and body. I believe this is a parasite issue?

How can I treat it? Also I have to remove the plant if I need to use medication on the fish. That's going to be a mess.

How about the plant? Do I need to use some sort of medication to eliminate any parasite or bacteria on the plant?

Thanks.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)12:12    Post subject: Re: white spots problem Reply with quote

32Bit_Fish wrote:
I have a 10g planted tank. It has 10 cardinals, 5 rummy nose, 5 red molly and 4 betta

Temp 82F, pH 7 and ammonia 0. I have a sunglo light on 8 hours a day.
Now all the fish developed tiny white spots on the fin and body. I believe this is a parasite issue?

How can I treat it? Also I have to remove the plant if I need to use medication on the fish. That's going to be a mess.

How about the plant? Do I need to use some sort of medication to eliminate any parasite or bacteria on the plant?

Thanks.

Sounds like you are having an outbreak of ich. Get some ich med and treat for about 10 days. After the 10 days do a water change and lower your temp to about 78

What type of plant is it? You shouldn't have to remove it.

Also I should say your tank is somewhat overstocked. You either need to get another tank or return some of the fish to LFS
32Bit_Fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Do I need to do any water changes during treatment?
How's the salt treatment for this disease? I saw people using salt treatment, any comment?

I love several small fish in my tank, I do w/c often. Maybe I could get away with the overstocking problem????
32Bit_Fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)14:52    Post subject: Can all my fish and plants handle the salt treatment Reply with quote

I'm trying to avoid using med for my ich fish. I would like to how much salt can my fish and plant handle? I do not want the salt kill them before the parasite does...

how many teaspoon or table spoons of salt is equal to 7.6 grams? I found this on the internet, I should put 7.6 grams of salt per gallon to treat ich disease. I think I better remove the plants first. Sad

Any advice? Thanks.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)15:12    Post subject: Re: Can all my fish and plants handle the salt treatment Reply with quote

32Bit_Fish wrote:
I'm trying to avoid using med for my ich fish. I would like to how much salt can my fish and plant handle? I do not want the salt kill them before the parasite does...

how many teaspoon or table spoons of salt is equal to 7.6 grams? I found this on the internet, I should put 7.6 grams of salt per gallon to treat ich disease. I think I better remove the plants first. Sad

Any advice? Thanks.

Salt does work, just make sure that it is aquarium salt. I have used it a lot myself. I'm not sure how it affects the plants though. The ratio with plants could be a little different,

If you look in the articles section of the board there is one on ich and it says in there 1 teaspoon to 20 ltrs of water.

I have also used rid ich and it works also.

Either way make sure you take out any carbon material out of you filter before you do it.

Maybe someone else could tell you how much salt to use with the plant in there so you won't have to remove it.
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I red somwhere that som people dip there plants in salt/mild? water to get rid of snails so they could probalbly survive. And I read that if treating with salt yu should watch the fish carefully if they start acting weird or abnormal take em out emediatley. sorry I don't have a lot of info good luck Smile
32Bit_Fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the reply.
Here is what I did..

I did a 25% w/c before treatment of quick cure. 5 drops of quick cure in my 10g planted tank. The water turns to blue.

I will keep the treatment for a week and wish me luck guys. Razz
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: