Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tank Talk of the Month! :-)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you set up a Fish-Only Marine tank?
Sure, in fact I have one of those...
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Yes, I'd love to have a setup like that...
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
Maybe, depending on certain factors...
42%
 42%  [ 19 ]
No, mostly because I prefer other styles...
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
No, mostly because I have reservations against them...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 45

Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)7:41    Post subject: Tank Talk of the Month! :-) Reply with quote

This poll refers to April's Tank of the Month:

http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0504.php

Visitors can't vote without registering, but you can post replies in this topic to voice your opinion!
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose maybe depending on certain factors. For me to want to get a fo marine tank 1 the tank would have to be largish and 2 the fish would have to be interesting and preditory otherwise its not interesting enough compared to a full on reef system.

my 2 cents
2 winged demons
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main marine fish I can really see myself keeping (Picasso Trigger) isn't reef-safe, so I could certainly see myself for a setup like this - however, I'd expect to have a big ol' sump filled with live rock.
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I might go for it. But really depends on a lot of factors. The biggest plus point I see is I can keep a larger tank for same cost. But on the other hand a reef system with its more complicated ecosystem fascinates me. As the comments in the tank of the month says... this is just like a freshwater system. Reef is so much more.
mikeycbaby

PostPosted: 2005.04.29(Fri)3:23    Post subject: doesn't match the drapes Reply with quote

the tank is very pretty. The fish seem healthy and happy. I just hope that the people aren't selling bleached coral anymore.
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.29(Fri)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a reef tank myself but as my regal tang gets larger I may find myself getting a fo and slowly adding the live rock. A tang needs at a minimum a 6 ft tank and that would be a ton of money in rock. I'll just plumb the tank to my 110 gallon sump and get by with the filtration from the system as a whole. We are trying to create a mini ecosystem in our tanks and in order to do that you can't leave out the most important part.

I would NOT have one with dead bleached corals due to the environmental and husbandry issues and I personally really can't even look at one. I know that it used to be common but so did a lot of things. The old bleached stuff in the market has to go somewhere and it's better than throwing it away. At least there is some good from it but I feel that it promotes it in a positive way by showing it off. JMO

But all that said it looks beautiful!

Now between the tang statment and the bleached coral statment, I've ticked off half the fish world. Very Happy
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.29(Fri)23:36    Post subject: Marine fish tank Reply with quote

I love marine fish tanks but I am constraint wiith economics and time in collecting water from the ocean but when I am working I will definitely consider it.

from Josh
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of this type of setup before.. I am pretty new to fishkeeping..

What would the minimum sized tank be to have a setup like this"?
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a FO marine tank at work: 150 gallons with 3 bannerfish, a queen angel, a sailfin tang, and a few small pajama cardinals. It's an interesting tank....but it can't hold a candle to the reef setup we have.

The only way I'd do a fish-only tank is if I had some really intense fish, like cowfish....or a shark! Smile I'd love to get a breeding set of epaulettes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons why I might not go for a marine tank is the fact that I have'nt come across LFS selling marine species here. Apart from a particular specie of sea angels I have'nt seen many.

There are occasions where I have seen people selling some stuff made out of a paste in the "name of corals" Shocked . It killed all my fish. All this fake stuff also keeps you away from going for marine tanks.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: